Monday, August 14, 2006

Back from the brink

Thanks in advance for all of the prayers and emails.

I got to Brooklyn on Wednesday night. My mom was extremely anxious about the surgery. My brother and I proceeded to do what all Trini's do when faced with a difficult situation....crack jokes.

The next morning, we got to the hospital at 6am. My mom went in to prep for the surgery and was under by about 8:30am. We sat around and waited.

Basically there would be one of two outcomes. My mom's mass was the size of a basketball and growing. If it turned out to be cancerous, she would probably not have more than a few months to live. If it was benign, they would give her a hysterectomy and she would be fine.

Finally, at 1:30pm, the doctor comes out and tells us that they removed the mass and it was NOT cancerous. My brother and I hugged and cried. Until, you are placed in that situation, you really just don't know how scary it is. It would have been either sure death or life. Thank God for life.

Mom is still at the hospital. She will be released today and will recuperate at my grandmother's house.

It was something to spend three nights sleeping on a chair next to her at the hospital. My mom, who had always been this formidable woman, had become this fragile creature. She held my hands and cried. She called to me at night to help her get to the bathroom. She asked me to brush her hair and to put some lipstick on her before her visitors arrived. I rubbed her shoulders. I got her ginger ale and tea. I became her caregiver.

When I left yesterday, she thanked me for being a good child and for being there. I reminded her that she was a good mother. Good mothers deserve their children's care when they are in a time of need. They earned it by washing our butts, feeding us, finding a way when daddy's left, etc.... She did her part, and I told her it was our turn to do ours.

So my mom will be fine. We will be fine. Like I said, we are back from the brink. AMEN.

Happy Monday.

11 Comments:

Blogger Blah Blah Blah said...

So happy for you.
Seriously.

9:53 AM  
Blogger P said...

Yes, indeed. This is good news.

It is unnerving, and distracting when someone you love is hurting and you don't know what the outcome will be.

Thanks for sharing with us. The prayers will continue.

9:59 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Blah...thanks for the message. At one point, I thought I was gonna need you to roll out to the hospital carrying one of your signature drinks. LOL

P...thanks girl. I appreciate everyone's prayers. God must have been listening.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

Helluuuur...Glad your mom is well. Size of a basketball Whoa!!

10:58 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Cocoa...now we just need you to be through with yours. Praying for ya!

Slishy...thanks dude. I am firmly planning to attend the next function in NYC. Keep me posted.

11:34 AM  
Blogger onefromphilly said...

I understand your worries. My Mom had serious surgery two years ago. One night she called me from the hospital crying because one of the Residents said some off the wall stuff to her. I damn near lost my mind, 10 PM and I was in my car headed to the hospital. I'm in Md she's in Philly. Glad that the worst is over for all of you. Wishing your mom a speedy recovery.

1:07 PM  
Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

ooh i'm glad your mommy is better and you should be a proud daughter..doing the right thing is not under rated!

5:14 PM  
Blogger nikki said...

thank goodness! i'm so glad the prayers were answered, cuz i know i put one in and god was probably like "uh, you always talk to me when you need something..."

glad your mom is doing better and that the growth isn't cancerous. that must have been a truly frightening experience for you.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Juicy77 said...

Glad to hear it. Thank God she's okay.

12:04 PM  
Blogger monicac2 said...

I'm new to your blog, but just wanted to say that I'm glad your mom is ok. Moms are so precious!

1:08 PM  
Blogger Blah Blah Blah said...

I'dda been there...drinks, chips and salsa while we waited for the doctor...

...shaken not stirred...

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home