Monday, July 24, 2006

My Brush With Fame

This weekend was the Charlie Mack celebrity weekend for peace in Philadelphia. Charlie Mack is one of Will Smith's best friends and he lost two brothers to gun violence. Every year, he hosts a weekend for Peace. A march in a troubled neighborhood, concert, basketball game, etc.

We host lots of celebrities in town. Through my job, I had the opportunity to spend three hours in extremely close proximity to Mr and Mrs Smith (got a great picture and lots of hugs). Miss Jada is a very petite woman. She is short in stature and very small boned (probably a size 0). You can, however, sense that she is a powerhouse. She has a quiet strength about her.

Mr. Smith is just who you think he is. Very gracious, charming. A nice guy. They both had to arrive at about 7:30am. They were on time, they looked exhausted but they were here. Ready to help. They walked in and started to instantly speak to the Mothers of Victims, the families, etc. They went all around the room and hugged people and shook hands

What struck me was that twice I observed them get separated by crowds. This is Philly and you know, it's Will's hometown. Twice he and Jada were separated and the crowd around Will got larger and larger. Both times, he asked the crowd to hush and asked his security quietly, "Where's my wife?" Everything stopped as they found her, and brought her back to his side. He then resumed whatever activities they were doing. I liked the quiet respect that he showed her no matter where they were and what was happening. He would then grab her hand and quietly kiss her on the forehead. She would give him that special smile...like, go on and handle your business, I'm fine.

Who knows about the rumors that circulate around these celebrities? I do know that Mr. and Mrs. Smith looked like nice folks that were very much in love. When you think about the level of power they control in Hollywood...it's amazing. But underneath it all, they really are the girl from Baltimore and the kid from West Philadelphia.

12 Comments:

Blogger Blah Blah Blah said...

I love me some Smiths...
I loves me some Jada...but that's a whole 'nother story back in the 80's that you ain't wanna know about...

After all, I have a reputation to uphold...lol

As for rumors, rumors are only rumors because they are usually people talking about things they wish they could have/do or be.

6:44 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Blah...now I need to hear that story.

They really were very nice folks. And the time I spent with them, no cameras were around. They were just that way with each other. Very sweet.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Little Brown Girl said...

me and my friends speculate about jada because she has changed so much as of lately...kinda manly LOL!! But I've always loved them together...and Will well...Mr. Smith is just the poster child for complete and utter FINENESS!! I'm glad to hear he is the gentleman I fantasize about him being LOL!!

10:04 AM  
Blogger MrsNotYourMomma said...

I'm one of the speculators RD speaks about...and I'm not surprised to hear that about Will, but um...what sense did you get about Jada's...um...sexuality? And how come of late, in most of the pics of her, she's not wearing her wedding ring/band?

I ain't usually one to be following celebs or anything like that, but this here got my mind churnin!

Wonderful cause, by the way.

10:15 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Now Jada did seem manly to me. Whenever she was near Will, she seemed to be softer. But by herself, she had this real "tough bitch" thing going on. She may just be one of those HARD girls...who knows?

I didn't get any gay vibes from Mr. Smith at all. Maybe it was the way his eye sparkled when he shook my hand....LOL

10:19 AM  
Blogger The Sarccastik Variable Why said...

yeah..the smiths are okay...i've heard rumors before about them "swinging"...whatever...if they are happy...then let them be happy....

7:31 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

I have heard the "swinging" thing too. Okay, well damn...I'm back to being the one listening to rumors :)

7:36 AM  
Blogger Knockout Zed said...

Maybe they're just into S&M. Their safe word is "Tupac".

KZ

11:05 AM  
Blogger Organized Noise said...

As little as Jada is, can you believe that she is the lead "singer" in a heavy metal band?

The Smiths' are one of those couples that have earned their respect. They are real people and unlike most other celebrity couples, are truly in love.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Blah Blah Blah said...

Are you coming out here next Saturday to Slish's BBQ?

3:55 PM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Blah...can you email me some details? That might be doable.

4:39 AM  
Blogger Blah Blah Blah said...

Umma, I could if I had an eail address....LOL

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home