Tuesday, August 22, 2006

An Ode To The Vapors

I once dated a gentleman when I lived in Maryland. He was a good guy. Very intelligent. Very ambitious. Very charming and handsome. He was definitely a ladies man. We got along great. Shared great conversations. Debated back and forth. Had lots of chemistry.

During our friendship, we had a strictly no strings relationship. However, it was obvious that we were extremely compatible. He also came to me for business advice and I would be totally honest with him and give lots of constructive feedback. It was obvious that he had feelings for me that could have gone further but I knew that he had lots of female friends so I kept him at arms length. It was also obvious that he was not ready to give up the player lifestyle.

Eventually, I met my future husband. I cut him off and moved on with my life. We stayed friends but nothing ever happened between us again. He also eventually married.

Last month, he was in Philly on Business and I ran into him. Still charming, still handsome, still a flirt. His business has grown and he is doing extremely well.
I told him that I was proud of him, asked him how the family was. He responded immediately with the "my wife is driving me crazy" but I "love my son" statements. Started giving me the details of how he messed up and should have been with me. We were always so comfortable together. I never stressed him out. He was seeing both of us and he ended up with the wrong one.

YAWN. Brother please. You were dating me. I was a professional female. Had my own condo. My own ride. Never sweated you or your whereabouts. Could talk about anything from CSpan and world affairs to Mobb Deep. Was gracious at your company Holiday Party and carried on intelligent debates with your counterparts regarding all topics as I sat at their table looking flawless. Put it down in the kitchen and the bedroom. Had all of your boys asking you what's up? Why aren't you trying to lock this one down? And NOW you realize that I was a catch?

Look Bruh....Go back home to the woman you chose and work that sh*t out okay? Hug your kid and honor your commitment. I don't know if you know....but I AIN'T THE ONE.
If you want to cheat on your wife....find another ex. Yeah, I know you bumped into me and I had my hair freshly done, my black power suit on with the cranberry colored stilletos. You couldn't believe I had two kids due to my hard work at the gym and I am still mad cool. Yeah Yeah. My husband and I are aware that I'm a catch. Thanks but no thanks.

What does the Biz Markie say? Damn it feels good to see people up on it.

11 Comments:

Blogger sunshine said...

I can relate to you girl- I had an old boyfd look me up after 16 yrs and he thought I would fall for the' you were the one that got away-I have always thought about us being together in the end' NOT!

6:42 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

TJ:

He was so transparent with it. It was almost funny.

7:00 AM  
Blogger onefromphilly said...

Success (and happiness) is the best revenge, even if it ain't revenge. He chose poorly, too bad for him! LOL

11:19 AM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

Someone Sounds Biiiitter!!!! and I don't mean him...lmaof

Anyway Ol boy was stupid for telling you his business..lol I see any of my exes. Me and Barneys could be at war!! They ask me how things are between us I say " Things are Peachy !"..lol

8:44 PM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Ahhh, Mr. Slish providing the male point of view. LOL

Not bitter, disappointed and a little angry perhaps? :)

6:15 AM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

Why be angry..Just smile think about how great your life is without him..

Truth be told your husband should call Ol Boy and thank him for being an indecisive buffon...lol

8:29 AM  
Blogger Knockout Zed said...

I hate stories like this. Yeah, it's too bad he played himself with that "wife on my nerves, but my kids are the shit" thing. But the sad shit is that "what if" scenario that both parties play in their heads after the meeting.

When we write, we always chose which angle we're going to explore. I wish I could get "other" story, about your feelings in the moment when it was happening and not just your reaction to his jackass statement. There's some rich territory to be mined in those feelings.

KZ

8:34 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Honestly Zed...the first feelings are like "Wow, I could still pull this dude if I wanted to" which is a great feeling at 37, ten years and two babies later after your relationship. Nice to feel attractive.

However, once I walked away...I felt dissapointed that he would be the type to openly play his wife. He was always a player but still a good brother. I would not peg him as that type. He's only been married for three years. You don't want to see that he is that weak.

And then I was angry cause it was more of a ...what the hell made you think I would fall for that? Do I look like that would work?

To be quite honest, he was never a guy I saw myself having a future with. He was my "something to do" besides work. (Zed you can relate living in Satan's Anus) My ex that I posted about before is the only person that would ever give me any pause over my marriage and he is deceased.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Little Brown Girl said...

Great fukin post...of course I am feeling it...we here SOROR!!! Love it!!!

He sounds like a clown for going out on his wife like that. problems or no problems you should always hold your significant down in the company of others...glad you took the "african kick rocks" approach

11:15 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

RD girl...you got my back on the ivy vine. That's why I love ya!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Ming Houser, Realtor said...

You go girl. I love the way you described your situation!

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home