Thursday, April 26, 2007

How many of us have them?

Last night, I came home from work and found out that Mr. 1969 got laid off from his job. This is not what you need to hear when you have a mortgage, two children and various other bills. I knew that he was feeling depressed so I fed the kids and then left to go grocery shopping.

When I got in the car, I called a good friend of mine. The two of us met when I moved to Philadelphia. It turns out, God brings people together for a reason. We have kept each other going for the last 7 years. We are a refuge for each other and can call at the drop of a dime and have instant dialogue about anything.

I called her and we started talking. The discussion started about my hubby and then it touched on our lives as women, mothers, sisters and daughters. The expectations we set for ourselves, the failures of our fathers in our lives and what role that played in the choices we have made. We talked about losing ourselves to all of the roles we balance and fighting tooth and nail to hang on to a small piece of who we used to be before responsibility took over. How we get so caught up in doing for everyone else that sometimes we just want someone to ask how we are doing.

We talked about our careers and how we have to exist as Black women in the workplace. How hard we have to work to be professional, intelligent and non-threatening so we don't get labeled "the angry black woman".

We talked about feeling overwhelmed, tired, angry and scared. We talked about life and how we can improve ours, our families and teach our children to learn from our mistakes. We ended it by telling each other that we had the other person's back. We loved each other and we would help the other person get through the crisis no matter what.

It's not always easy to be a real friend to someone. A real friend listens first and asks questions afterwards. I feel so blessed. I hope you all have someone you can call when you need some clarity and refocusing. I know I do.

14 Comments:

Blogger BK said...

*high five* oddly enough its my mother and then I have 2 other friends whom I can talk to *when I can* like you I tend to keep everything in until *I* work it out

Sorry to hear about Mr. 1969.. but if I know you I'm sure you are working your contingency plan...


*hugs*

6:27 AM  
Blogger Erica Bunker said...

You need a big hug today! I'm sure you guys will be alright. Mr. 1969 is smart and educated. He shouldn't have any trouble landing another great gig.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Drea said...

I read your blog regularly but rarely comment. I did today because I have been where you are before and I know it is a tough feeling. Hang in there!

Unfortunately, I can't think of any one person I could really talk to if I had to go through something like this ir similar. Thank God you have someone, it makes it easier to get through.

10:26 AM  
Blogger BZ said...

I am tremendously blessed to say that I have friends that I can count on in that way. And, I'm relieved that you can say the same. I'm sorry to hear about Mr. 1969. Although everything does happen for a reason. Stay prayerful and proactive. I know you guys will work it out. It sounds funny, but be grateful for the loss because the blessing will make up for it X 10.

11:08 AM  
Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

i was good and grown before i realized the financial mountains my parents had to climb in order to raise me. the high interest loans to pay my tuition when my mother decided that she didn't want to work any more, the over time, the night spents trying to balance check books.

i am glad that you have a friend along the road up the mountain. prayers to you and your family, may this be a road to the higher good!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Miz JJ said...

I am so grateful to my friends who listen without judgement and often times without trying to give me answers. Sorry to hear about Mr. 1969, but I believe you two will bounce back stronger than ever.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Ms. Lee said...

Oh goodness, girl. *hugs to you*

Friends make the bumps in life just a little easier to bear, don't they? Let you put your cape down and everything. They are a blessing.

Trust that that was not where he is supposed to be. A new and better opportunity will be along.

*another hug.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Ms.Honey said...

I'm sooo grateful that God places certain people in our lives...as I'm sure you already know God has it all worked out :)

6:29 AM  
Blogger Still Patrice said...

I've been there sans the kids... I have nothing to offer but prayers! And you ain't neva lied. There is NOTHING like a real friend!!!

1:42 PM  
Blogger nikki said...

sorry about that layoff. i know he's devastated, but he's got you to keep him strong.

and a good friend is more valuable than dang near everything else in the world. my brother is my best friend. it's a blessing to have someone who cares enough to listen.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Organized Noise said...

Sorry to hear about Mr. 1969, but I hope you both know that something good always comes out of a bad situation.

As far as having people that I can talk to, I must admit that I'm better at listening to other people than I am about opening up to others about my problem(s). Outside of my best friend, people generally have to pry stuff out of me.

I know its something I have to work on, and hopefully your post will serve as the spark that I need to be able to overcome this hurdle.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Virtuous said...

Yes indeed true friends are a blessing. And God will provide for all of your family needs!! Keep trusting and believing!
I look forward to the post when you let us know Mr.69 has a better job than the last!! WHOA!

3:59 AM  
Blogger Disco said...

I am so very sorry to hear that your husband was laid off..... it happened to me in November. I too understand what you mean abotu having good friends to confide in and with whom you can be yourself and would ride or die with. I have several friends that I consider to be "those" girlfriends and 2 whom are males that are like that as well. Zed, is one of them. And I feel blessed to have them. They really are my angels here on earth. There have been many times where I depended on them for clarity when I simply had none.

I wish you the best darlin and know that you will work through this and please know that my prayers are with you & your family family.

Thank God for friends!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Blah Blah Blah said...

Hope Mr. 69 finds something... if I knew ppl in Philly.... but alas, only NY..y'all ready for that move back?

Friends are very precious commodities... very!

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home