Friday, July 07, 2006

The Birthday Weekend

Yes, I am one year older. The Cancerian has celebrated another year of life. This year, the husband actually threw me a suprise party. Now you know, the man is "celebration" challenged. He forgets cards, gifts, etc...every single year. It used to make me angry and now, I am just used to it. I now have "low expectations as to not be dissapointed". For anyone that knows me, this is no easy feat.

Shhhhhhh.....don't tell anyone but I LOVE BIRTHDAYS AND HOLIDAYS. Yes, I love em all. From Christmas, to Halloween. Birthdays to Yom Kippur (for the free day off). I love them. Now, I am not as bad as wearing the coordinating QVC Quacker.Lady Holiday sweaters.....but I do enjoy entertaining, celebrating and rejoicing whenever the opportunity presents itself.

So after 6 years, the Hubby actually DID SOMETHING. I mean a real party. Catered food (Sushi platters, Roti, Curried Shrimp, Cake, Liquor, etc...), my whole family was there. My sorors. A real party.

It was so nice. I appreciated every minute of planning and prepartion on his behalf. I knew this was big for him. He wanted to show me that he does love me. Of course, the next day, he told me he should be good as far as holidays for the next year right? Just like a NEGRO.

Yes, my husband is not always good with the emotional stuff. The outpouring of love. The "I love you's". But he is a man of action. He wakes up every day and dresses our sons, drops them off at school, takes them to the playground, makes them fishstick and nuggets, etc..... He is dependable, hard working, a good friend, funny as hell, loves his family, and still has a football player body. He balances the checkbook, invests the money, mows the lawn, keeps my spending and my attitude in check. Yeah, I guess he is all that.

So what he got drunk at my party, invited more of his friends than mine and then passed out on the couch. He still gave me a memorable birthday. I love you babe. THANKS.

P.S. you're exempt until Christmas :)

7 Comments:

Blogger Mr.Slish said...

Lol...Thats right.. Once a year thats how we do it..lol.

8:01 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

@ Mr. Slish...he really does think that this makes up for 6 years worth of missed events. LOL

On my first Mother's Day, he never even brought me a card. He just shrugged, looked confused and said..."But I gave you a baby!"

LOL

8:08 AM  
Blogger Blah Blah Blah said...

LOL @ gave you a baby! :-)

I didn't know you had a whole house of people...husband and kids...dang!

Not he got drunk and fell asleep...*smh* MEN!

Happy Belated 1969!!!
*umma, I LIKE sushi dammit!*

9:15 AM  
Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

ooh a real actual birfday party. I haven't had one of those since I had one hosted by my mama!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Supa said...

Awww, hubby sounds like a keeper!!
Happy belated birthday.

First time at ya spot. 1969 was a GREAT fuckin' year, yo!! (I'm a true 69'er)

12:02 PM  
Blogger 1969 said...

No wonder you are Supa....a fellow 1969-er! I should have known. Thanks for the birthday shouts!

4:39 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Thanks DG. Are you in Tucson? I will be on business at the JW there in two weeks. What do people do in the desert?

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home