Thursday, September 28, 2006

Whatever happened to Black Love???

I, I'm so in love with you
Whatever you want to do
Is all right with me
'Cause you make me feel so brand new
And I want to spend my life with you

Let's Stay Together-The Right Reverend Al Green

There's been alot of talk on the blog world lately about marriage. There are many who feel that they will never get married, never have children, never ever settle down.

I can see where everyone is coming from. I remember turning 29 and swearing that I would NEVER get married. I told my mom that I would just be that "diva" aunt that showed up at the holidays bearing gifts for everyone else's kids, looking fabulous and telling tales of all my exploits and travels to all of the poor married folks.

I met my husband not long after I had that enlightening conversation with my mother. When I met him, I was not looking for a husband. I was in fact dating someone (not really committed) and had a booty call reserve on the bench, 2nd string.

My husband had several girls in his stable. No one serious at the time. He too was not trying to get married.

We met, thought the other person was cool, but no sparks were flying...no angels singing....just "he's cool, maybe he can treat me to a meal once in a while".

We went on a few dates. Movies, dinners. Nothing exciting. However, over time, I realized that this was a good man. Plain and simple. When he said he was going to do something, he did it. If he couldn't do something...he said so. He was honest and direct. He loved his family. He was responsible. He was intelligent. He thought outside of the box. He had some style and could floss when necessary....but he wasn't a punk. He liked good music and good food. He enjoyed travelling. He had goals, dreams and a plan.

The two of us, maybe because we were a little older, were more secure with who we were going into the relationship. We didn't sweat each other. If he was hanging out with his boys, I encouraged him to go and vice versa. We encouraged each other to have lives outside of the relationship. We trusted each other. We recognized that if a person is going to stray...you can't stop them. All you can do is FIND OUT and REACT ACCORDINGLY. No sense in tripping without provocation.

As we got more serious, he never talked about getting married. I never talked about it. I am from the "Don't talk about it, be about it" school. I told him up front that I am not the kind of woman that is going to beg a man to be with me ever. If you have read some past posts, you know this mantra has hurt me before but I still believe that it is the right way to be. I think that a man will not hesitate when he wants something. Men are primal. They are hunters. When there is something that they desire, they will move heaven and earth to have it. If a women is trying to "convince" a guy that she is the one.....she is fighting a losing battle.

All of a sudden, he proposed. On his own, without us ever having to have "the talk".

Our marriage is not perfect. We have major disagreements. I am a pain in the ass. He gets on my last nerves. But I think that we have a mutual respect for each other. I respect him as a man, a provider, a father. He handles his business. No matter what we go through, he is still a good man and I have to give him props. I may not always agree with the decisions he makes or the way he handles things but he stays true to who he is and was when I met him.

I am certain that I drive my husband crazy. I argue just to argue. I rarely let him have the last word. I change my mind at the drop of a dime. But I have stayed true to who I am. I handle work, two children, a household, all of my volunteer work, etc...and I am still true to who I was when he met me. In addition, I support him and believe in him. I never call him out in front of anyone else. I respect that he is the man and the husband.

I will never back down from an argument. I may get angry and call him every good cuss word I can think of....but when it's over, I apologize. Even if I was right (which is 90% of the time).

To me, the key for women being a good wife....is knowing that you have the power to uplift or break your man but, 9 times out of 10, you choose to uplift. I think that too many women are trying to be the man. That will kill a relationship faster than Kryptonite.

I am not saying to give up who you are, to be timid and meek. I am saying choose your battles wisely. Your job as a wife is to hold your family down. Women spend too much time trying to show their man that they are smarter and know more. I think most men already know we are smarter. They don't need to hear it all the time.

I think our men, black men especially, need someone to believe in them. To make them feel like we have their backs no matter what (unless they are on some EXTRA sh*T). That we do think they are smart, hard working and capable of greatness.

To do all of that, women have to be secure with themselves. Believe that you are the sh*t without needing constant validation from your partner. When you love yourself, know yourself and believe in yourself.....then you will be able to give support without feeling like it's weakness.

When two mature individuals, who know who they are and enter into marriage with realistic expectations....it can be a beautiful thing. Black love is out there and when it works, it is unstoppable.

19 Comments:

Blogger Disco said...

wow. And that is all I have to say about that.

GREAT post. ( I am STILL looking for my version of this bit o' perfection)

8:38 AM  
Blogger Erica Bunker said...

What a great post! School these young sistahs (and the older ones too)! Black love is beautiful... I've been married almost 15 years!

10:56 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Robyn: You are STILL lookin? We have to talk then....

Erica: Thanks girl. I have read far too many posts lately bashing marriage and married folks. Trying to let them know it ain't all bad. Fifteen years is nothing to sneeze at. Congrats!

11:06 AM  
Blogger Nexgrl said...

I am glad that you have given a positive reflection on marriage. I have friends who have been married anywhere from 10-21 years. I have seen the good and the bad. Two of those marriages ended in separation/divorce last year. I do believe in marriage, although it hasn't happened for me yet.

11:30 AM  
Blogger nikki said...

i had this long comment and blogger jacked it up, so imma just say i love this post and go sulk in a corner cuz my wonderful comment got lost. :(

1:34 PM  
Blogger G. Mo said...

Wonderful post!!!

People are selfish and superficial. What makes them happy today, irritates them tomorrow. Love does not equal happiness, love equals commitment. Within the commitment you will experience happiness, pain, sorrow, disappointment and joy. Love is when you make the choice to endure hardship together.

Through the adversity and drama from my first marriage in ’98 and subsequent divorce 3 years later, I’ve learned a lot. I easily could’ve let the fact that I was cheated on destroy me. Sure, I had moments where I was sad and depressed though. I had moments when I swore that I would NEVER get married again, but I never really lost my focus. I knew there was too much love in my heart to allow one person's betrayal deter me from being the affectionate person I've always been. From a financial aspect alone, I’ll never be able to repair some of the damage done. However God blessed me. He brought a special lady into my life and we became friends. That friendship blossomed into a romance which brought peace and joy to our lives.

I’m in the process of planning my own wedding for next September and I couldn’t be any happier. Yes, Black love still does exist. We just tend to hear more about negative things than positive. I’ve smiled more in the past 2 years than I’ve probably ever smiled in my life. There’s something that just feels so good about knowing I’m with the person that brings out the best in me.

2:45 PM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Nexgrl and Nikki: Thanks for the encouragement. I think I had my hubby on my mind because his birthday is tomorrow. This is kind of an ode to him too.

GMo...Don't be making my evil ass cry up in the office. Damn you!!!
Seriously, I am soooo happy for you that going through the divorce and the betrayal didn't close your heart for good. It sounds like your ex messed up and will be missing out on a great future with a great guy. Best of luck to you and your lucky lady! It can be done.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Organized Noise said...

I was where you were when you were my age. I've been trying to come to grips with the fact that marriage may not be for me. Hell, I'm 28, haven't had a successful relationship in years and can't get over a girl who doesn't want me. Your post is just what I needed to keep hope alive. Better late than never, especially when you're talking about love. It's definitely something worth waiting for.

4:21 PM  
Blogger sunshine said...

When two mature individuals, who know who they are and enter into marriage with realistic expectations....it can be a beautiful thing. Black love is out there and when it works, it is unstoppable.

Thanks for keeping it 'REAL'

8:42 PM  
Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

what a lovely ode to marriage.

i've been a fools fool when it comes to love once too many times, but there's no one to blame but me.

i have risked it all for love, moved across the country and back again and would do it again...but only for love. not for a fantasy a wish a hope but maybe a prayer.

love is gift from God we have no right to refuse, even as the most single girl in the world, i still think love is beautiful and we're all worthy to get our share!

11:35 PM  
Blogger onefromphilly said...

I have to admit that at times I've been guilty of being one of the marriage dissenters on the blog. Basically because after 15 years of marriage, my faith in this institution was severly tested. And eventhough that marriage is over, I'm blessed, I had 15 mostly good years and three children that I adore. And I still believe that marriage can and does work for SOME. I am real old school and believe in marriage before having children and in staying together for the sake of the children even if it's over, as long as you can do it peacefully. I believe in black love, I've seen it and experienced it first hand. But I would be lying if I said that I feel as though it only exist inside of a formal institutionalized relationship. I love being in a serious and committed relationship. I'm back with my college sweetheart, the love of my life, and if he really wants and feels the need for us to get married I'll do it again without hesitation. But since I am chronologically and surgically past having children I just don't see the need to be married. Black love still exists, it just doesn't necessarily equal marriage.

Sorry for blowin-up you comment section. I don't usually speak out on this subject because i don't want to poison the un-married.
Stay blessed!

8:15 AM  
Blogger onefromphilly said...

I meant to add
Damn good post!

8:19 AM  
Blogger Blah Blah Blah said...

I think marriage is an awesome experience. I loved being married...just didn't too much care for who I was married to. I can't see myself getting married again but...I would do it.

I liked what you said because alot of women feel the need to be the man in a relationship/marriage. My thing is...he's the head of the household...I will defer to him all things until he gives me a reason not to.

A good man is not hard to find...honest.

9:17 AM  
Blogger What's Haute said...

you sound like me! it's true, you always find 'the one' when you're not looking.

Editor, What's Haute and Hauteness

9:47 AM  
Blogger Knockout Zed said...

Bullpoop.

KZ

9:54 AM  
Blogger p_nami said...

I absolutely love your blog! I wanted to post before but didn't have my own blog, but now that I do I will be back!!!

But as for this post, I hope you're right because when I look at my options I feel pretty hopeless and I'm only 25!
Great post

10:34 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

thank you for this post. I NEEEDED to read this. Especially the part about convincing a man. Goodness I need to stop doing that. Thank you thank you thank you.
btw found you thru Brother Buck

10:25 AM  
Blogger Drea said...

I know I am late reading this post but nonetheless I think it was great and something I needed to hear!

Why do we sound so similiar? LOL Our personalities sound the same and that makes me feel a little better because I was questioning if maybe I needed to work on myself. But you are right, I need to be true to me!

You read my post about my experience when I got married. Have I given up hope? Heck no. In fact, I have been dating a very nice man and maybe he will be the one that I can grow old with, who knows?

6:45 AM  
Blogger The Brutha Code said...

"I think our men, black men especially, need someone to believe in them."

Amen. That ain't nuthin' but the truth.

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home