Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Kramer gets what he deserves

By now you have all heard that Kramer from S.einfeld went off at a comedy club due to some guys heckling him in the audience. Not only did he repeatedly call them the "N" word, he also told them that years ago they would HANG for such behavior.

Then he goes on Letterman last night and says this (info courtesy of Perez Hilton):

David Letterman: "Why don't you explain exactly what happened for the folks who may not know."

Michael Richards: "I lost my temper on stage. I was at a comedy club trying to do my act and I got heckled and I took it badly and went into a rage and said some pretty nasty things to some Afro-Americans, a lot of trash talk, and uh..."

Letterman: "And you were actually being heckled or were they just talking and disturbing the act?"

Richards: "That was going on too."________
Richards: "...You know, I'm really busted up over this and I'm very, very sorry to those people in the audience, the blacks, the Hispanics, whites - everyone that was there that took the brunt of that anger and hate and rage and how it came through, and I'm concerned about more hate and more rage and more anger coming through, not just towards me but towards a black/white conflict. There's a great deal of disturbance in this country and how black feel about what happened in Katrina, and, you know, many of the comics, many of performers are in Las Vegas and New Orleans trying to raise money for what happened there, and for this to happen, for me to be in a comedy club and flip out and say this crap, you know, I'm deeply, deeply sorry. And I'll get to the force field of this hostility, why it's there, why the rage is in any of us, why the trash takes place, whether or not it's between me and a couple of hecklers in the audience or between this country and another nation, the rage - "

Letterman: "But Michael, let me interrupt here for a second and ask a question about had the people doing the heckling or the people who were not paying attention, had they been white or Caucasian or any other race, what would have been the nature of your response then?"

Richards: "It may have happened. It may have happened. You know, I'm a performer. I push the envelope, I work in a very uncontrolled manner onstage. I do a lot of free association, it's spontaneous, I go into character.  I don't know, in view of the situation and the act going where it was going, I don't know, the rage did go all over the place. It went to everybody in the room. But you can't - you know it's, I don't - I know people could, blacks could feel - I'm not a racist, that's what so insane about this, and yet it's said, it comes through, it fires out of me and even now in the passion that's here as I confront myself."

The most disturbing thing is that on CNN today, the poll question is "Do you think his apology is enough and the majority of fools out there say "YES".

I know that comedians of all races make jokes regarding race at all times. I have no problem with anyone cracking a few good racially tinged remarks. I love Carlos M.encia and he is about as politically incorrect as they come. But comments like these? (excerpts from CNN)

Richards retorts: "Shut up! Fifty years ago we'd have you upside down with a f------ fork up your a--."

He then paces across the stage taunting the men for interrupting his show, peppering his speech with racial slurs and profanities.

"You can talk, you can talk, you're brave now mother------. Throw his a-- out. He's a n-----!" Richards shouts before repeating the racial epithet over and over again.

Don't be fooled America. Some sh*t is just not funny, nor is it acceptable. I'm just glad that his cocaine fueled career will now be over. Are you laughing now funny man?

13 Comments:

Blogger Shai said...

I totally agree. At least when black comedians talk about other races you don't hear them going off because their act sucked. Well, I have not heard of any.

Lucky Mr. Richards was not in an all black club, he could have been strung up himself. Plus, if it was mostly whites in the club anyway does that say alot about him and them if there were no blacks at all. I bet that would have our ears bleeding.

5:50 AM  
Blogger Little Brown Girl said...

I just saw it today and i was completely floored. I'm surprised no one rushed to remove his monkey azz from the stage.

There is no excuse for this kind of behavior...unless of course he has Turrets *dah fuk outta here wit dat shyt*

He should never get a paying gig again...and once you remove his Seinfield stint from the resume he's not even friggin funny!!!

6:38 AM  
Blogger onefromphilly said...

Richards retorts: "Shut up! Fifty years ago we'd have you upside down with a f------ fork up your a--."

THIS statement is what bothered me the most. This was some deep-down hate. He bought up a very hateful and distrubing time in American history when Blacks were being terrorized in this country, and threw it out like it was something to be proud of. That there I won't ever be able to let go of....

6:57 AM  
Blogger Blah Blah Blah said...

It's the line Philly gave that hit's me the ost.
Eff whether he said the N word...it's the fact that he said the other shit. However, coupled with everything that came out of his mouth...
sorry to say...
Cosmo Kramer is no longer a favorite character of mine...and definitely not Michael Richards.

8:18 AM  
Blogger G. Mo said...

I suppose I could pretend that I'm surprised by his comments, but I'm not. However disturbing they might be, it just shows his true colors. He spoke from the heart and is now trying to clean it up. The hell with his 'apology'.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Miz JJ said...

I wrote about the same thing today. That is one of the most half-assed apologies I have ever heard. Plus, it was not that he said nigger it was the fact that he made reference to lynching black people. He is a racist plain and simple.

1:02 PM  
Blogger nikki said...

that dude is full of it. i say be racist. don't fake an apology for pc sake. that whole interview looked forced and faux.

4:40 PM  
Blogger So...Wise...Sista said...

Equally as disturbing was the applause when he said it. I'm so tired of racist having to be qualified. Like maybe he was just playin?

6:04 PM  
Blogger Knockout Zed said...

That shit was so splendid. His outburst was superb, exquisite, full of flavor. I think we needed that.

That's the shit that bubbles just below the surface, everyday all day. I never forget that shit or believe it's all hunky dory (pun intended).

Believe it's isolated if you want to, but that cat said what's already being said amongst his friends and colleagues in private. He only fucked up by saying it with a mic.

KZ

6:23 AM  
Blogger Drea said...

I was wondering when this would show up on a blog. I read about it and was so offended! I am a fan of Seinfeld and thought that Kramer was the funniest one on the show! Well, however true that may be I won't be watching it anymore.

I started wondering if Seinfeld was also racist but smart enough not to expose himself. I thought Kramer was Jewish and wondered if he thought about the cruelty Jews suffered and that maybe he wasn't of the majority himself??? All kinds of thoughts went through my head. But the thought that stayed the longest is how the hecklers felt when he made those commments??? Wow, they paid to see him.

You guys have a safe and HAPPY THANKSGIVING, we have much to be thankful for.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

I'm with KZ--at least now people know how he feels.
Just a question though--what apology would be enough? What more can he say? If he could go back in time and never say it--hey that would be good, but what more can he say than "I'm sorry"? He admits that he has hatred. Do you want him to lie and say he is insane or something?

8:02 AM  
Blogger Disco said...

Girl, I posted on this shit today too...but you know WHAT?

His career WILL.NOT.BE.OVER...white people will STILL go see him and he will have sell-out shows I am SURE. White people forget alllllllll too quickly when shit like this happens and the do NOT feel it as deeply as we do. They will "justify it" and make excuses for it or just plain act like it DIDN'T happen and still LOVE his ass!

Girl, please.....didn't you hear on the tape some dumb white bitch saying "Kramer....don't leave Kramer...come back..." as he was exiting the stage?????? And that was 2 SECONDS after it happened!!! Give it 2 weeks....he'll be on stage apologizing and putting this into his act somehow......

Please.....he'll be down for a MINUTE (i.e.a hot-ass-second) but all them folks who have ALWAYS supported him (mostly white folks) don't really care and will forget about it before my and your Thanksgiving dinner is digested tomorrow. He will receive bookings and he will survive...

We all know it.....

11:18 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

GC...I just think his apology is insincere. I also feel that if he had made those remarks in an all white club, where everyone laughed...he would not be apologizing PERIOD.

I think his ignorance of the insensitivity of the situation supercedes his "apology" made for damage control purposes.

Just my opinion. You are right, he can't do anything but apologize at this point. What's done is done. At least you know what you're getting with regards to Mr. Richards from here on out.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home