Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Who are you?

I just had to take this behavioral assessment test for my new job. Basically you answer 136 questions and they can tell all about your job behaviors.

When I got the test back, I was below where the new job ranks the following behaviors:

Planning
Detail Mindedness
Presentation Style
Initiative

When I first saw the results, I panicked. If I was a new boss, I would be alarmed seeing my lower scores in those areas. Especially going into a number crunching, business evaluation type of role.

However, upon going over the results with the trainer, it was not as bad as I thought.

My Planning score was low because I am the type that likes to roll up my sleeves and get the task at hand done. I don't look at tasks as a conceptual thinker. I am a doer not a dreamer. So basically, I will have to try and become more of a big picture thinker in my new role.

My Detail Mindedness score indicated that I am a perfectionist and I don't like to put forth anything with my name on it that isn't 100%. I am going to have to take more risks with my work in the new role and be more open to mistakes.

Presentation Style scores indicated that I like to have a topic when I present information, stick with it and if folks in the audience draw me off track or talk too much, I will steer them back to the topic. SO TRUE. I need to be able to bounce ideas and concepts off people more in my new role.

Initiative was low because I like to make informed decisions. I like to have all the details before I commit to something. I don't just jump out on a limb without clear facts.

So basically, I scored like I would score after doing my current job. I need to adjust some behaviors in my new role. TRANSLATION, I am a control freak and a perfectionist and I need to let go.

They paid somebody to get that information? I could have told them that for free.

19 Comments:

Blogger Little Brown Girl said...

FIRST!!!

LOL...they could of paid you a little extra and you could of told them that mess yourself. Those tests are always annoying to me...it's like so what!!!

9:02 AM  
Blogger p_nami said...

Umm...if you figure out how to NOT be a control freak, could you PLEASE let a sista know!

9:03 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

RD...Exactly. The questions were so vague and after the 100th one, I felt like I was answering the same thing over and over again.

Dollface...Obviously, based on my results, I have a few issues :)

9:07 AM  
Blogger Blah Blah Blah said...

Your a control freak and perfectionist...no really? I'dda never known... ::yea, you sense it huh?::
LOL

9:57 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Blah...can you believe it cost $250 for them to find that out?
What woman isn't a controlling perfectionist?

10:00 AM  
Blogger Drea said...

Dollface's comment goes for me, too!

10:29 AM  
Blogger BZ said...

Yous a micromanager, huh? LOL! Don't pay too much attention to standardized assessments. While they are good for giving an idea, they're not the end-all and be-all of who you are, professionally. Take the constructive ideas and roll with them. As with any new job or promotion, there's room for growth and change. Make it good, girl! You know you can!

12:23 PM  
Blogger Disco said...

GIRL!!! You sound JUST.LIKE.ME...... I guess I woulda scored low in those areas too! But to me (and maybe I am COMPLETELY biased)...... those characteristics aren't THAT BAD.....

:-)
We have a dumb ass test which is not as intensive and telling as that one (actually we do have one like that one too but it is only given to VP, Prez. level people), Girl but it asks dumb ass questions like "do you think most people steal?" and "do you always do the right thing?" and "if someone got caught stealing something that cost less than a dollar at work, should they be given another chance?"......

I FREAKING HATE THAT TEST! And get this: to be EMPLOYED, you HAVE to score above a certain level! How about my ass BAAAAAAARELY made it because I scored ONE NUMBER above that cut-off! LOL

(that prolly shoulda been my FIRST inkling that this was NOT THE PLACE for me.....)

12:46 PM  
Blogger Knockout Zed said...

I'm glad I didn't have to take this type of test to be employed. Seriously, I'd have a sign by the freeway exit ramp.

KZ

1:30 PM  
Blogger G. Mo said...

This test didn't happen to be the infamous Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Assessment was it??? I did one of those back in June here at the office.

1:50 PM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Nope. I've done Meyers Briggs before. This one was the Devine Inventory.

2:06 PM  
Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

We use the Meyers-Briggs in reality tv...but on the contestants. if someone starting testing the people who make tv to get their jobs, ya'll would be watching news all day and night because we wouldn't have jobs...

trust me!

you sound like good management material to me girl!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Rasha said...

LOL... How funny, that sounds exactly like me. And I have learned that many of my Strengths are ultimately my weaknesses.But at least I know I'm not alone.

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took a similar test two years ago. Messed around and made them realize that they had me two levels below where I should have been.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Ming Houser, Realtor said...

Those tests are always insightful. ALthough, I would have to agree with you...they usually don't you anything new about yourself. I mean the older you get and the more experiences you have, you tend to start learning yourself.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

that's a nice hustle
occupational testing
I ought to get in on that
and make some money

7:58 AM  
Blogger T.a.c.D said...

I have never heard of that particular test...I am thinking that we should start giving the kids that we mentor some type of test so that we can better gadge how to deal with them...so we can really get at their issues...Thanks you just gave me an idea....

12:16 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

See now If I had taken that test. I would have been FIRED FIRED FIRED! Results would have come back with

1.Takes inititave whenever they are big breasts present.

2. If the topic of discussion isn't focused on him. He will be forced to thrash everyone in the room.

3.When interrepted. He's quick to slap a nucca!!! ...lol


Yeah FIRED!!!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

spelled one of dem words wrong..lol

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home