Thursday, February 22, 2007

Black Pride

Tonight my family is headed to see this.

Philadelphia is the final stop for the Exhibit in the United States and tickets are selling fast. For my NY, DC, Baltimore crew....come down and check it out. I am looking forward to seeing the Boy King and to teaching the elder Taliban a little bit of black history while we Ooooh and Ahhh.

On a side note...I keep hearing the jewelry is fabulous too. Can't wait to see what our Egyptian Queens were rocking back in the day.

When I think of past civilizations, it draws comparisons to present day times. Our beautiful children seem to have lost hope. They live for today and not for their futures. (Life as a shorty shouldn't be so rough).

Are we, as parents, aunts, uncles, sisters, brothers, mentors and friends doing enough for the generations coming up? I know many people that feel like "it ain't my problem". If it's not a village issue, then what is?

These kids need our help. Black History month is a sham but can we make this a month that we try to instill some knowledge or pride in at least one black child? So many of you are wonderful storytellers, writers, thinkers and dreamers. Can you pass something on?

Today I rode the bus in to work and I was amazed at how lost the kids looked. Lost and unhappy. When kids don't dream big, they wallow in the here and now. There are infinite possibilities in life. Every day we wake up is another chance we get to get it right. If you lose hope at 12, life will be either long and miserable or short and DONE.

So do 1969 a favor and make your own Black History. Reach out to one of the little knuckleheads. You know you will feel better!

9 Comments:

Blogger Miz JJ said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Miz JJ said...

There are so many influences that are not positive for children and youth. I remember my parents encouraging me, being proud of my academic achievements and teaching me about black history. I believed I could do anything. I think when you see kids who are downtrodden as a young person it is sad. How can their dreams be dead at such a young age? I have no answers, but it does make me sad.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Atlantic Review said...

We are trying to make Black History Month bigger in Germany. Here we focus on Afro-German artists.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been checking out your blog from time to time, my first comment: you have good insight sister, I enjoy your post and added you to my blog. I have been trying to get through to some of the knuckleheads in my hood. They do look lost don't they, and many parents these days only want to get them out of the house. Keep up the good post.. Peace!

http://madflavor2.wordpress.com

11:48 AM  
Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

ooh i remember when my parents too me to see the tut exhibit when i was in grade school. i was in love with king tut, obsessed for most of my life it seemed...

i saw the exhibit when it was here last summer and it was still equally enthralling. I even donated money so that schools could take students knowing what an effect it had on me..

Enjoy!

5:27 PM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Mizz JJ....Living in the city, I see kids everyday that just look sad, unhappy and lost. I used to teach so I guess I have the instincts to want to take each child home, give them a hug and help them in some way. I don't know what I can do to save them.

Atlantic Review...Interesting. Thanks for the link!

M...Thanks for adding me :) Parents are losing these kids and if we lose them, we lose ourselves, our future. I will come check out your blog!

Miss Ahmad...it was fabulous. I remember being ten and finally figuring out the Egypt was in AFRICA. I was so proud. Have been ever since!

6:29 AM  
Blogger Ms. Lee said...

I'm inspired to go on the quest to find an exhibit like this in NY!

And maybe reach out to the kids...

Thanks, girl!

12:14 AM  
Blogger Sister Toldja said...

I hope you tell us all about the exhibit, it sounds great! My mother checked it out in Chicago, I think.

You make such good points. Way too many of us neglect our history as adults and pass that same indifference on to our children. It's great to hear that you are being proactive in instilling that needed pride in your little ones!

9:11 AM  
Blogger BK said...

waiting on the pictures from the exhibit :)

and thank you for posting this. for my house.. black history is all year round and we definitely have to understand our caribbean history. they both have guyana as part of their heritage so we do research and learn about it because I know nothing.. My mother and I can tell them all about St. Kitts but their father's heritage I can only tell them what I learn.. they ask questions of their parental grandparents to no avail but I digress.

good post ma :)

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home