Monday, July 10, 2006

Chef Boy-Ar-1969

Was it me or did the Italians seem extra "friendly" in their pants off victory celebration? Hmmm

*******

We had a cookout yesterday. Some of hubby's co-workers came over to watch the World Cup. Just so you know, my husband and I love to entertain. We always seem to have people in our house. Since I am somewhat of a gourmet cook, it tends to work out.

YES PEOPLE....I didn't stutter.....I can cook. LOL

My grandmother owned a restaurant. All of my aunts can cook. My mother can cook. My uncles and male cousins can cook. We come from a cooking family. It's in our blood.

We are not recipe cooks either. We taste things, add some of this, some of that....you know...REAL COOKING. We can roll into a restaurant and taste something and say I can make this. Then you go home and make it to perfection.

Well up until this point, I have been able to make almost anything I have ever set my mind to. The only food that has eluded me has been my mother's potato salad. Hers is pure perfection. Creamy, the right mix of salty and sweet. Soft potatoes and crunch bites of relish and celery. Just perfect. I have eaten it all my life and it has never been bad. She has told me how she makes it many times but for some reason, mine never comes out quite right. Not bad...just not like hers.

Well, yesterday, for some strange reason, my potato salad was absolutely on point and perfect.
I figured out what I had been doing wrong. All of these years, I had been trying to make it like mom's. I was trying to recreate perfection. Guess what? It can't be done.

I finally just made it the way I wanted to. I made it my own. And it was absolutely phenomenal. My husband and all of our guests kept saying how good it was. That I had put my foot in it. YES!!!!!!!!!!!! I had become the JEDI. (Did I forget to mention that I am a not so closet nerd?)

I called my mom and told her that I finally made it and she was laughing and she shared in my excitement. "What did you put in it?" "Really?" "That sounds good".

Laying in bed that night...I realized....there is more than one way to achieve a goal. Just because someone else did it by going down a certain path, doesn't mean you can't do it too by following your own way. Life teaches so many lesson if you allow yourself to see them.

Who knew potato salad had so much to teach me?

3 Comments:

Blogger Blah Blah Blah said...

YOU could find a silver lining in anything. I like that.
SO next time I am in Philly...I get a real homecooked meal? Cool!!

5:14 PM  
Blogger Little Brown Girl said...

I'm a good cook too but I only like cooking for people I love...random *africans* do not get the honor LOL!!!

Ok I need to add you to my Blog roll...it's official! As soon as I'm sober!

7:44 PM  
Blogger 1969 said...

@ Blah

Girl if you come to philly I will hook a sister up....anytime!
We have sushi here too!

@RD

The drunk love is cracking me up. Please add me. I would add you if I knew how to do it. I need help soror :)

3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home