Friday, March 23, 2007

Let me Upgrade you....

Opra.h is famous for her Favorite things show....well I am going to do my version of 1969's favorite things today. It's Friday and going up to 70 degrees. Blah and Mr. Slish are back to blogging, so I am inspired and happy.

1. Bare Escen.tuals Makeup



Ladies, if you like looking flawless (like you have no makeup on, just perfect skin), then this is the Holy Grail of makeup. I get compliments on my skin all the time. It has SPF to protect you from the sun, it leaves your skin healthy looking and is just the best foundation/powder I have ever used...ever. I can't say enough about it.

2. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez




I read this book almost ten years ago. I am still fascinated by Marquez and his writing. It is a story about family, love, hate, lonliness and redemption...set in a mystical village and centered around one family. The way he uses words to convey a feel, the atmosphere and the magical nature of the story is inspiring. I love this book.


3. Tar.get



Now anyone that knows me knows I love to shop. You may think that given the choice...I would spend a day at Bloomingdale's or Saks? You'd be wrong. I LOVE TAR-ZHAY! Yes, I confess. I could spend hours in one of these stores (and have). It's an obsession. Where else can I get my Sec.ret Vanilla Sparkle Deodorant, Rafe Bag, $20 swimsuit , home accessories and a power ranger for the Talibans? It's like heaven.

4. Donny Hathaway



Since Hip Hop is DEAD....and we are all waiting for the Maxwell release, Black Summer's Night to hit the stores...reacquaint yourselves with a classic. Donny Hathaway sings, no let me correct that...he SANGS with conviction. The pain and emotion in his songs is incredible. He is one of the greats. Take it from me, someday we'll all be free! Cause we're alone now....and I'm singing this song for you. Just get it. You won't be dissapointed.

5. Toronto



If you are looking for a great destination that isn't the typical "Miami" weekend, try Toronto. This city is like a spotless New York. Great culture, Diversity, Fabulous Restaurants, Great Shopping and a short plane ride (under two hours from Philly) on the East Coast. Even better, go for Caribana in August. Shouts out to all of my T-Dot posse!

6. and lastly....technically, these can't be my favorite's because I don't actually own a pair but a girl can dream, can't she?

13 Comments:

Blogger Miz JJ said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Miz JJ said...

I am going to have to try out that make-up.

Caribana is the one of the best carnivals outside of Trinidad. I am going to try and hit Miami Carnival this year too!

I love Target. I wish I lived closer to the States. I miss my little Target trips.

My friend bought a pair of CL's. They cost a fortune! However, she love, love, loves them!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Ms. Lee said...

*peeking around for the curry shrimp/R&C. LOL.

I have a love/hate with Tar-zhay because I always overspend. :(

The CL's are gorgeous! We'll have to dream together.

Making notes on the rest...
*checking off the upgraded box.

1:58 PM  
Blogger BK said...

glad to know someone whose opinion I trust have used the bare essentials.. I've heard things but never tried it.. I was an MK girl for years *I used to sell it* but I use nothing now.. THANKS.. I'll add that to my shopping list.. *any recommendations on where to purchase*

Hmm I'll add that book to my reading list for the year

LOL @ toronto.. you describe it nicely.. Caribana in 08..cheap affordable trip.. YOU DOWN?

Lawd Target.. *sigh* praying I don't overspend when I go there tomorrow...

@ wow you can dream for me too in them shoes... and if they come in flats.. LET ME KNOW :)

7:34 PM  
Blogger Virtuous said...

Definitely have to check out some of your recommendations!

Thx!

7:53 PM  
Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

i love me some gabriel garcia marquez..love in the time of cholera is hands down one of my favorite books and i'm about to read another, memoirs of my melancholy whores.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Tia Williams said...

Hey Pumpkin! Thanks so much for leaving the sweet comment on "Shake Your Beauty" about IT CHICKS and Brownstone Books (it's sort-of in my 'hood). I'd LOVE to talk to your friend. Hit me on my email, beauty@tiawilliams.net. Loving Tar-zhay,
Miss Tia

11:59 AM  
Blogger BZ said...

Man, if you love Marquez' writing in English, you should read it in Spanish! Well, maybe not if you don't understand it. LOL But, his English-language editor is awesome. This book is superb in Spanish. And, to have someone do as great a job with the translation -- is hard. But this is a beautiful work.

And oh yeah, Target is the store where I'd max out a credit card if I had someone paying it off for me! :-)

8:19 AM  
Blogger Keli said...

Good Stuff!

I might have to try Bare Escentuals, its nice to have something nice and light when you're combating a hot TX summer day.

100 Years of Solitude, has been on my to read list for a while…guess I need to get to it.

Girl, let’s not even start on Tarzhay le Boutique, I can always find something to spend my money on in target.

And I am so with you on the Christian Louboutin’s…a girl can dream *sigh*

7:02 AM  
Blogger Little Brown Girl said...

Ohhhhhhhhh I love this post...I'ma bite tomorrow :-)

12:44 PM  
Blogger Lola Gets said...

Ive been using Bare Essentials for about a year now, and I love it! Makes me look great. The saleswoman told me that it doesnt always look good on Black women, as it has a tendancy to make us look a bit ashy, so be careful when looking!
L

12:15 PM  
Blogger Lyrically speaking said...

I love Bare Essentuals, don't know why I switched over to Mac again

Great list!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Nexgrl said...

I would like to say that you are ahead of your time. Halle Berry wore a pair of Christian Louboutin shoes when she received the star on the Hollywood walk of fame. I had been trying to find those shoes. I finally decided to go back to this post. Well, there they were in his Spring 2007 line-up.

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home