Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Counting Blessings

2am....

T2 is lying on top of my chest with an ear infection. He can't sleep laying down because his ears hurt. After administering his medicine, I instinctively prop all of the pillows behind my head and let him fall asleep on me so his head is elevated. I hold my palm against the offending ear, applying pressure, so it stops throbbing and he finally stops crying and falls asleep.

It's quiet. His heart is beating against my chest. I think about my baby. He will be two next week. He's the stubborn, headstrong one. Good natured and sweet but determined and tough.

My oldest is a star. Something about him lights up the room when he walks in. He commands attention. Loves to joke around, loves people, loves the spotlight. Aries. Fire.

But my baby is a different type of child. He is quieter, more introspective. Loves his big brother. He is content to follow him around all day. He lets the older one shine and cracks up at all of his antics. But he doesn't let the older one push him around. He stands up for himself. If T1 tries to take his toys, he will say "NO" and fight him for it. This baby is one tough little cookie. Taurus. Earth.

As he lays on my chest, I think about the type of man he will be one day. I hope that I am here to enjoy the whole thing. This strong little baby will one day be a man.

As he snuggles in and starts snoring, I get up and put him back in his crib.

I kiss his older brother on his head and cover his feet sticking out from under the blanket.

I pause to take in this moment. The quiet when they are all sweet and vulnerable. I am sure I feel what mama birds feel when they have fed all of the birds and they are all asleep in the nest....contentment and peace.

Everyday there are blessings all around me despite whatever forces try to bring me down. Tonight, I am stopping to embrace mine before I miss it.

13 Comments:

Blogger onefromphilly said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:04 AM  
Blogger onefromphilly said...

Cherish these moments, they fly by all to fast! My baby is 16, 6 feet tall, 190 lbs. As I was reading your post I was remembering all of the sleepless nights with ear aches, stomach aches, wheezing and coughing. I still jump up out of a sound sleep if he coughs during the night. This is the best job that I've ever had! There's a part of me the can't wait until he's off to college and I have true freedom again. And then there's the other side that starts to cry at the thought of him not being with me everyday. *sigh*
But like a good mother I have to teach my eagle to fly and then let him soar.

Loved this post!

6:05 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

1from: So true. The time is flying.
I just do my job and love every minute of it. You are right....it's the best job I've ever had.

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Post Mrs. 1-9-6-9.

I had one of those moments this weekend. All my homies went riding. I opted out and took the little one to the movies and out to eat. Just me and her. Caught myself staring at her when she went to sleep. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

7:03 AM  
Blogger BK said...

those are the best times!!! :) whew.. enjoy it.. and its so funny how siblings are so different.. yet so similar.. :)

smiling proudly cause I'm a parent

8:40 AM  
Blogger Shai said...

Yeah, I remember those sweet days. Now I have a teen almost 17 and sometimes wonder where my sweet girl is. No more kisses on her cheek, she wipes them off. No more cutesy nicknames, just call her Ashley. LOL. Now I just share funny stories with her and we crack up. She does hug me and sit on my bed up under me. SMH. Time does fly.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Erica Bunker said...

Cherish these moments... they fly by! I have two teenagers... I wish they were still little like that. Life was sooooo much simpler back then. Even my tiny baby will be 10 this year... she's the last of the Mohicans! That really makes me sad and I think she knows it because she'll still sit on my lap and get in my bed and snuggle with me.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Disco said...

Damn all the commenters got some old kids! LOL ***just kidding**

I too cherish the moments...

I always say to people when they ask me about being a mother that it is the hardest and by far the BEST thing I have ever done.

Signed: Mama bird

:-)

10:51 AM  
Blogger Miz JJ said...

Almost makes me wanna have a baby...almost.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

T2 is a TAURUS Like Uncle SLISHY!!! ..HA HA!!! Bwoy yuh in trouble. His slasher like tendencies will probably start to show up when he becomes a teenager...lol

12:29 PM  
Blogger Ms. Lee said...

That was so sweet. Those boys are going to turn out to be good men thanks to Mama Bird's love and guiding hand.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Organized Noise said...

That was beautiful. I'm glad that you were able to experience that. Moments like that would definitely put a smile on my face.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Still Patrice said...

awwww.... that was soo sweet...Almost makes me want to run out and get preggers.

Almost! :)

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home