Friday, August 24, 2007

10 Things I like About Me

My friend Liz tagged me (not THAT kind of tag) and I will now present to you:

TEN THINGS I LIKE ABOUT ME

1. I am a great cook. Yes, 1969 can throw down in the kitchen. I am one of those people that cooks without recipes. I go to restaurants, taste something and come home and make it. Friends always want to come over to eat or they ask me to teach them how to cook. It's one of my most favorite things about myself and I have to thank my Grandmother, My Mother and my five aunts and one uncle....all great cooks.
(I am not a baker though....shhh!)

2. I am great with people. I can walk into a room with all different kinds of people and make myself at home. I love meeting new folks, talking to them and can probably strike up a conversation with almost anyone.

3. I am a "boy" mom. Some moms are perfect for girls. They shop, get their nails done, etc. I am most definitely meant to have boys. I love football, I play in the dirt and I wrestle. My son learned to play baseball from me taking him out every night and teaching him how to hold a bat and pitching him balls. He can now hit like a champ. :)

4. As much as I like being a tomboy, I love getting girly. I love shopping, pedicures, new purses and shoes. I live for fashion and love to talk style. I think women that can be sophisticated and elegant but still rock a ponytail and some sweats are the hotness.

5. I can fix things. I can put things together. I can hang drapes, install drywall, etc. I am great with electronics and gadgets. I am the female Bob Villa.

6. I love the fact that I am healthier than ever at 38. I take care of myself. I plan to be around, GOD WILLING, for a long time.

7.I love my nose. It's cute.

8. I love my ability to roll out of the Boardroom and then roll through the hood. Many people would never meet me and know where I come from or what I am capable of.
I am proud to be from brooklyn....that tough upbringing has grounded me and prepared me for almost any challenge I could ever face.

9. I love being Caribbean. Our people are beautiful. Our culture is diverse. Our food is extraordinary. Our history is proud. I love going home to Trinidad and feeling that sense of pride and HOME.

10. The thing I love about myself the most is my ability to persevere despite any obstacle. I am so hard on myself but somehow I manage to wake up everyday and keep trying. I have faith in God and in myself that I will do my best. Sometimes my best isn't good enough. Sometimes, it downright sucks.....but I can't stop, won't stop. I enjoy my life. I love my family. I am grateful for every single day that I get to breathe. I never let the negative forces take over. I stay out of those holes. It's so easy to be "woe is me". I am like most of you....a product of a single mom, no father, financially unstable upbringing, nearly evicted more times than I can count, struggled through bad relationships, fell in love only to have that person die, etc....I could go on and on....but I am here. I never gave up. I always believed that God has a plan. No matter what has been thrown at me....I keep the faith and keep it moving. Thanks me, I love you man!

22 Comments:

Blogger Organized Noise said...

You definitely saved the best for last. I love your number 10. Not too many people are able to say that. Glad you are. Have a good weekend.

6:01 AM  
Blogger onefromphilly said...

I like all 10 of these things about you too!

uhhh #1) I'll be over next time I'm in town...lol

6:28 AM  
Blogger BK said...

I LOVE IT.. and you did it so well!!! its uncanny how similar we are :) and I LOVE YOU SISTAGIRL!!!

My BK Homie :)

I swear we need to get the catering business started.. I'll handle the baked goods since you can't bake LOL and we can work together on the other food!!!

6:44 AM  
Blogger Little Brown Girl said...

# 10 made me cry...not out of sadness but out of being able to completely relate (minus being a Mom LOL). Life has thrown me some hardballs but God's grace and mercy have always been sufficient and I am so excited about my life despite where I've been and the uncertainty of where I am going. Yeah 10...that's Hott!!

As for #1 ummmmmmmmmmm sosososososo can I get a meal before the end of summer LOL!

#3 I think if I ever had kids I'd perfer boys...I need someone who can rock and roll. I'm prissy enough and another me might be a bit much for my hubbie to be (wherever he is) to handle LOL!!

#4 you know you aint got to tell me *we here*

#7 LOL!!

Happy Friday Homie!

7:22 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Organized....Thanks man. You have a good weekend too!

Philly...anytime, come on over.

BK...Hmmm....you can bake huh? We have to talk! Luv ya back.


R to tha D....you and I man....You know you are like my younger self. I see so much of myself in you. Poor girl! LOL I knew you could relate on that Number 10. **sigh** All we can do is keep trying.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Erica Bunker said...

I love all 10 of these! Go head Wonder Woman!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

I like this post. One day I hope to do one. One day.

8:34 AM  
Blogger DurtyMo said...

LOL@ I love my nose, it's cute! Hahahha!

8:43 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

My nose is cute....LOL

Haters! :)

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

....install drywall, etc. I am great with electronics and gadgets. I am the female Bob Villa....

No, you're a nerd. You went to BT remember?

BTW, I need that jerk chicken recipe again.

9:23 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Fresh...if I send you that recipe one more time...and yes, I am a nerd. Don't get mad cause you have to call the handyman. :)

9:38 AM  
Blogger lynn said...

1969,
I've said it once and I will say it again....I am so glad I came across your blog. You have truly been an inspiration to me, with your powerful words of wisdom...smile. Number 10 really hit home and you summed everything up so beautifully. I feel honored to be among such positive, strong, intelligent and encouraging people. You and your readers are the best!

Now, lets talk food...I can cook and I consider myself a good cook...but I want to be a great cook..smile. When do you think.. you can list some of your fab recipes?

1969 and blog family, have a blessed weekend.........

9:59 AM  
Blogger Ms. Lee said...

1. Wow. I come home from a restaurant...and make plans to go back. LOL.

3. I think I'd be a good boy mom, too. Not as far as football, but I'm hands on with the kids. Me and Lil Homie get down in the park!

4. Yep!

5. Got my own tool kit, girl! Haven't drywalled yet, but I will if I have to.

7. LOL. Just funny that you said it, that's all. LOL.

8 & 9. Yep!

10. Everyday, I'm getting better at this. Things hurt, but you've got to move forward. It's great to have examples of folk that live this, as well.

Wonderful post, Ms. Nineteen. You're a really nice, I mean awesome chick! ;o)

10:08 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Lynn...thank you. I am so glad you come here everyday. Your post touched so many people. Glad we could all inspire each other!

I will email you recipes....I never post them so as not to offend my four male readers :)

bklynaka10@yahoo.com

10:11 AM  
Blogger TNDRHRT said...

Love your list! Ok..I LOVE people who know how to cook without using recipes. Someone asked me for my baked beans recipe and all I could say was what I used, but not how much!

I also admire people who rise above their circumstances. High five to you, girlie!

10:19 AM  
Blogger ChezNiki said...

I just wanna co-sign jump up and down and wave on #5. From Doll Houses to furniture, I LUUV putting things together, it helps my OCD and I save money!

In my apartment, Ive I built/ put together three shelves, one entertainment center, a desk, three tables, my office chair, my chest of drawers and two doll houses, not to mention the curtains I made and installed (we have blinds, no curtain rod, had to put that in). Luuv my Black and Decker!

#1 Dont worry about the baking. Its something you can learn. Trust me, if the rest of the food is good? no one notices if you slip a little Entenmann's in after dinner.
;-P

I think I will steal this MEME on Monday after I get back from the (Boston) Parade.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Gemini Girl aka GG said...

girl you are super woman...LOVE ALL OF THIS STUFF..i've just recently become a toolbelt diva..I have 3 tool boxes for some reason and I just bought a power drill I LOVE THAT THANG!!!
and I agree..don't give up! KEEP GOING no matter what!...I've never given up I'm still standing, knocked down, tripped, pushed but I keep on getting up! I should have six pack abs..that's some bull! keep on with keep on!

10:39 AM  
Blogger Disco said...

love it , love it and LOVE IT!!! You go Mrs. 1969!! :-)

11:45 AM  
Blogger Amadeo said...

Self-Promotion, the best kind.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

I'm so glad to read your list. It's just as we all knew...you are a wonderful and beautiful person with many special blessings and gifts. Here's a virtual hug from one "boy" mom to another.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Organized Noise said...

You wouldn't offend me by posting a recipe. I can't speak for your other three male readers, but I'm not exactly lost in the kitchen.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Jameil said...

you're fab!! i like my ears. people talk about them all the time... which is a bit odd...

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home