Monday, August 06, 2007

Lifetime

I was reborn when I was broken......

Whenever I hear this song, I have to pause and listen to the lyrics. This song is about hope, courage and strength. Everyone has an event that has happened to them that has rendered them broken. Where you feel the hurt or pain so deep, you can't find the strength to get out of bed, to talk or even to just breathe. If this hasn't happened to you yet, you best believe that it is coming.

Life happens, it spares no one.

I believe we are judged and measured not by how well we responded during our good times, but how we got up, dusted ourselves off and rebuilt our spirits after we had been broken down. That is the true measure of an individual.

Some people have a tragedy or hurt and they never recover. They walk around blaming folks, hating their lives. Some lose themselves and in that split second, take a life or take their own lives. Some just remain bitter and angry at everything and everyone around them.

The rest of us allow ourselves to feel the hurt and eventually, we rebuild ourselves. We never forget, but we learn something, accept our new reality and we continue to live.

I often think about my life. My struggle. While I know that I get many things wrong, I am continually striving to get better. To learn. To grow.

Like the song says............I can let my life pass me by......or I can get down and try, to work it all out this Lifetime.

13 Comments:

Blogger BZ said...

AMEN AMEN! I'm so with you! Success is the house you build with the bricks others have thrown at you. :-) Thanks for the reminder, chica!

7:50 AM  
Blogger Amadeo said...

Hell yeah...it's not happens it's how you react to it.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Amadeo said...

what happens (anal retentive)

7:57 AM  
Blogger Virtuous said...

Yes Lawd!!!

Now I am so crazy...what song is that you mentioned?

8:14 AM  
Blogger Ms. Lee said...

Lifetime is my favorite Maxwell song.

Between you and Fresh, yall takin' folks to chu'ch. Preach, girl. Preach!

9:51 AM  
Blogger BK said...

*hugs big sis* :) Sigh... yeah now wonder you and Fresh are BFF LOL ya'll on a conspiracy to PREACH :)

amen.. great post..

9:53 AM  
Blogger onefromphilly said...

Life is for the living.

My favorite line from Shaw Shank Redemption
"Get busy living or get busy dying"

1:00 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

I was just listening to that earlier today...thinking about my sister who cried for hours on the phone yesterday. Sometimes all that pain you think you were over sneaks up on you when you weren't looking, catches you unaware. And then the dust-off has to commence all over again.

3:31 AM  
Blogger Gemini Girl aka GG said...

hmmmm that is just wanted I needed to hear this morning..very fitting to my life right now..I feel like I'm finally on the up slope...lived my whole life sheltered and shunned from all the bag things but eventually something tragic happens and you find your true strength I found mine and I'm living proof that you can get thru anything if you just continue to get up and fight the fight...don't give up!

4:55 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

Positivity is a really great thing but I disagree with you on where you say we are judged and measured by how well we respond after our spirits have been broken down.
Maybe by you and everybody else--but hopefully not by any God.

Just because someone has not recovered from trauma, doesn't mean they are blaming others and being bitter. It could really have been that bad. Sometimes in life things change you. And some people, every time they try to get up, something knocks them back down. And that's life. It's unfair. It sucks. And some people are luckier than others. End of story.And that's why the people who manage to dust themselves off and turn things around are such miraculous examples. But if you look closely, you'll probably see, there was someone helping them along.
You don't hear the stories of the people who had no help at all and never made it. Nobody wants to hear those stories so they don't get told.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Sha Boogie said...

I truly love this post, preach - preacher!! I'm dealing with some things and that just gave me the inspiration to stay in good spirits and fight the good fight! beause lawd' knows sometimes I just want to break down and cry... but what's that gonna do? Nothing but ruin my make-up!..lol

11:29 AM  
Blogger Jameil said...

thanks girl. that was good.

1:20 PM  
Blogger 1969 said...

GC....I just read your comment. I can see where you are coming from.

I agree that some people never seem to catch a break but I do believe that hurt and pain is relative to the individual.

One person may have been abandoned by their mother and overcome it...but been hurt by a lover and never been the same again.

I can't speak for everyone but in my own life, I have lived through some incredible things. I don't blog about all of my struggles because many are truly too personal. I am an optimist because I have faith that whatever has happened to me has only brought me closer to God. I definitely feel like my life has happened the way it was supposed to.....I just needed to evolve past being angry and blaming everything around me and finding my own strength and making changes.

For me, that's what has worked and I can only blog about my reality.

I do appreciate you taking the time to bring your point of view to my writing. Thank you.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home