Friday, September 07, 2007

Open House

So Tali 1 and I are spending his last day of freedom at home today. His school had an open house for the Kindergarten parents to come and meet their teachers and tour the classrooms this morning. Parents can only drop the kids in the schoolyard and then leave on Monday. They don't want the parents wailing and falling out on the first day. As his new teacher said "The kids will act the way their parents act...so no crying! Be excited and happy for them."

As I toured his new classroom, I didn't have high expectations as far as amenities. While we were looking at private schools, I saw everything from horseback riding to squash courts. His school, although superb academically, is still a public school in Philadelphia. **insert deep sigh here**

As I pulled up to the nondescript brick building, I prepared myself to see the standard industrial greyish green classrooms with bad lighting. Instead, the doors opened to a bright and beautiful space. The floors are in a bright checkerboard pattern. There is gorgeous artwork everywhere. His kindergarten class has it's own computer lab. They have a science lab in the building and an art class. In his classroom, the walls are painted with a gorgeous mural. Heck, my first grade (did we even go to Kindergarten back in the day?) was that industrial green and not overly exciting.

More important, his teacher is young, enthusiastic and excited to teach. She already had the kids names memorized. She has their names up on the board and she made them feel right at home. She showed them their cubbies, their library and where all of their learning activities will take place.

I feel so good about dropping him off on Monday. And I promise not to cry.........

until after he walks through the doors.

15 Comments:

Blogger cbean said...

Be strong mommie!

9:50 AM  
Blogger Gemini Girl aka GG said...

girl u can do it..public schools nowadays are not what they used to be..most are comparable or better than private schools!! no worries momma!!! {hugs}

10:06 AM  
Blogger onefromphilly said...

Awwwwww it only hurts the first day. You'll be ok by Wednesday.
:-)

10:23 AM  
Blogger lynn said...

I know you will be fine and your "little man" will come home all excited to tell you about his 1st day. You can do it......have a fab weekend.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Organized Noise said...

I give him a month to have his whole class throwing up the W and calling themselves the Wu Tang Clan.

Be strong. This is a big step for him . . . and you.

11:00 AM  
Blogger BK said...

awh... :) girl yes.. hold them tears back and turn around cause when he look back and you he gone be like WHY IS SHE CRYING..

BUT.. don't be mad if he says.. SEE YA LATER MOMMY just know that you have prepared him well!!!

Enjoy your day off.. :)

11:18 AM  
Blogger Erica Bunker said...

awww...I remember the first day of school with my babies (now grown folk). It'll be okay. Atleast your confident his in a positive environment.

11:40 AM  
Blogger proacTiff said...

*Passing you a Kleenex - beforehand* You will feel something. Just so you know, mommy. The Tali1 story was too cute. The letter to Ms. Porter was spot-on! The Maxwell melody is heavenly. *What* I'm playing "ketchup" since I've been so darn sick since last Friday.

Toodles=)

1:01 PM  
Blogger Jameil said...

yay!! i'm so proud! *tear!* man up mommy! you can do it!

4:11 PM  
Blogger CreoleInDC said...

Awwwwww Princess! We'll be here to make you laugh...okay?

6:29 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

That's great that he has a teacher that seems with it because that first teacher can really make a child either love or hate school. Good luck on Monday, y'all are going to be just fine!

12:22 AM  
Blogger Miz JJ said...

Awww...so cute. That's so great you found a good school for Tali.

8:06 AM  
Blogger My-Conscience said...

Its okay to cry it symbolized that we as mothers are loosing our children to maturity and that can't be so bad. I know the feeling I have two boys.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Ms. Lee said...

Aww Tali 1 is going to be fine! Sending you an e-hug.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Amadeo said...

Hmmm, I guess I'm in the minority that would a little dance after I drop my kid off.

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home