Wednesday, June 06, 2007

What we gonna do right here is go back.......

When I graduated from college, I moved to DC. I have lived in DC, Baltimore and Columbia, Maryland. I loved living in Maryland the most. Columbia was such a great and convenient place to live. My Target was down the street, my mall was up the street. Life was simple and good. Unfortunately, I had no social life. I couldn't get into men in that area. I was a Brooklyn girl with Trini roots.
I needed some culture. I needed to meet a cool thug nerd.

One day while I was working in my Hotel ( I was the Director of Catering at the time), I looked across the lobby and saw this cutie. He was standing across from me talking to a bunch of guys. I checked the style...the face...the whole package but kept moving. I work in a hotel, I see cute strangers all day long. I didn't really pay him any mind.

That weekend was two weeks before Christmas. We had Holiday parties jumping off left and right. I was running around making sure everything was straight. I kept seeing a whole bunch of black men in the hotel. Highly uncommon in Columbia, MD. I asked the desk agent what was going on and she replied that we had a Flag Football tournament staying with us. About ten teams. So this weekend brothers were everywhere. I still was in work mode and didn't pay most of them too much attention despite the "Hey, Shorty's" I was getting from all angles. (sidenote....Brothers...that ish is NOT attractive, okay?)

So I got a call on my radio that there were a "BUNCH of dudes eating food off the food buffets we just set up outside of the Ballroom". GREAT. So I head up to the ballroom and sure enough....there were about five football guys trying to eat food off a buffet we had just set up for this Holiday party. As I start walking up to them, I hear one of them saying "Ya'll are some trifling azzez. Stop stealing food". I look over...it's the GUY. You know....the cutie from the lobby.

So I start laughing and tell them that if they didn't pay for it....they need to step back. The cutie tries to help me and eventualy we all start laughing. I promise to save them some cheesecake after the event.

The cutie starts telling me that he and his boys are here for the football tournament but looking for something to do that night. I recommend a few DC spots and a few B'more spots. In Columbia....the only club is the Silver Shadow and that was not their style. LOL

We parted ways. The next day, I am talking to one of the banquet guys and he says "Don't look now but some man is coming up behind you". I turn around and sure enough....it's the cutie. He's all sweaty, in full football gear and it's only about 9am. He thanked me for the club recommendations and informed me that his team had already played two games for the morning. They lost one and won one. So I made small talk and walked away. He was cute....but I was so focused on work, I wasn't really thinking anything. I just thought he was being cordial.

About fifteen minutes later, I am decorating a table for a Bar Mitzvah and he walks by in some swim trunks....flexing.....headed to the pool and waves. I start cracking up with my co-workers. They are like...."Yeah. Your boy is trying to show you what he's working with..." I mean, we laughed for a good twenty minutes at how subtle dude was. LMAO.

The next morning was Sunday. I only came in to check on a Brunch and was leaving. Again, while I am standing there fixing something....someone taps my shoulder. I turn around and it's him again. So he tells me they came in fifth in the tourney. He starts making small talk. This dude is talking my ear off and I am working. I look down and notice he's holding a pen. So after he KEEPS talking.....I finally say to him (getting ALL Brooklyn, now that I think about it...) "So, Do you want my number or what cause I have to go?"

He started laughing and says..."I was about to ask you if you could have just waited a minute. Damn girl." His smooth persona faded to black and I saw something....a slight "take no mess" side. I liked it. We exchanged numbers and I left work about 30 minutes later.

As soon as I walked in my house....the phone rang. It was him....he said that before he left to head back home....he wanted to take me out for lunch. I said yes.


That is how I met Mr. 1969.

18 Comments:

Blogger Dee said...

oh, my word
swim trunks?

btw love that title--wore a groove in the cd if that's even possible

6:34 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

GC...yes....some damn swim trunks.
Granted, the man looked good as hell in them but still....LMAO.

(To this day, he claims that was the only way to get to the pool and he wasn't trying to show off his abs....sure....whateva.)

and yes, that is my cd too!

6:36 AM  
Blogger BK said...

oh wait.. HOLD ON.. SWIM TRUNKS????

not the shorts but trunks??? LMAO hahahaaaa


now that's a love story!!!! so that's how yo arse got pulled to philly! LOL

and u right Silver Shadow's LMAO hilarious

7:18 AM  
Blogger onefromphilly said...

"so do you want my number or what, cause I have to go to work?" screeeeeech!!! LOL
Priceless.

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So after he KEEPS talking.....I finally say to him (getting ALL Brooklyn, now that I think about it...) "So, Do you want my number or what cause I have to go?"

I can picture the face, the stance, everything. Brooklyn women - I tell ya. Gotta love'em.

7:41 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

BK...they were standard long trunks...not the European joints. LOL. And yes...Silver Shadows...LMAO!!!

One from...He tells people how he was trying to be suave and polite and my ghetto azz ruined his game.


Fresh...I can't help it. It just snaps out sometimes. I didn't give him the neck roll....just the attitude. LOL

7:57 AM  
Blogger Tasha said...

aww, he was trying everything he could to get your attention--I guess the swim trunks were the last straw, lol. Umm, can he actually swim or was he really just tryin to catch your eye?

That is such a sweet story!

8:14 AM  
Blogger BK said...

LMAO.. that is so funny..

Bklyn Stand Up..

8:21 AM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

Why you tell us it was Mr 1969..you could have kept us guessing for at least two-three more stories..Ya know The first Date, First Kiss, The time in between when you probably thought Mr 1969 wasn't gonna make it...I wann hear more DAMMIT...lol


Good story by the way...

9:42 AM  
Blogger Erica Bunker said...

Awwww! What a great story! I was wondering who it was... the location threw me off.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Ms. Lee said...

I knew it was Mr 1969! I love it!

See, it's all about God's timing...and a little Bklyn attitude!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Little Brown Girl said...

I want me a Mr. Roycee LMAO!! That was so cute...more then a coincidence and clearly God's will. I love it when a brother steps up and follows through. Awwwwww I love this story...can't wait to find out mine. Ya'll my inspiration over there LOL!!

12:05 PM  
Blogger Minerva Exertion said...

Love the story. I can't wait until I meet Mr. Minerva. I hope I have the same great story.

12:30 PM  
Blogger BZ said...

I love it! I love it! I love it! This was SUCH a great story!!!

They say the right ones come along when you least expect them to. That was so adorable. I want to hear about the lunch date! LOL

12:48 PM  
Blogger Gemini Girl aka GG said...

well that was just the cutest and sweetest story!!! Columbia Mall was like my FAV MALL!!!like totally!

8:42 PM  
Blogger Miz JJ said...

Adorable. I love how he was flexing his stuff for you. So cute.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Absolutely LOVED the story! Such a great way to meet a future mate.

-SimplyB

8:07 PM  
Blogger Jameil said...

awwwwwwwwww!! so sweet! lmao @him flexin in the trunks.

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home