Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Clean Slate

The New Year is upon us all. Two, double o seven.

If you're reading this and feeling sorry for yourself over some stuff from last year...get over it. You are alive and should recognize that everyday you have the opportunity to change your situation and grow. No pity parties in 07.

That being said....I don't really make resolutions. I make statements. I remind myself of things I need to work on.

We all have things that we do, that we KNOW we shouldn't do. We eat the wrong foods, we are mean to people for no reason, we shop too much, we don't save enough.....yada, yada, yada. Enough resoluting (new word, you like it?), I say to just have a nice little chat with yourself and attempt to do better every day.

We are human. We make grandiose promises to ourselves and then get mad when our real lives get in the way of our "perfect scenarios". Then we beat ourselves up over the failure to execute these promises.

Make small steps. If you are trying to eat healthier....instead of swearing that you are going to hit the gym for two hours, four days a week.....give up drinking soda and use 2% or skim milk in the coffee instead of cream. You feel me? Increase your 401 K contribution so the money comes out before taxes instead of swearing you will never shop again.

Trust me, I have lots of things to work on this year, but I always feel better when I can at least look back on the previous year and say I gave up something for good. Even if it was just some cream.

Wishing you all love, peace and soul in the New Year.

16 Comments:

Blogger BZ said...

Happy New Year!

9:17 AM  
Blogger Dare2B said...

I like when you said "We are human. We make grandiose promises to ourselves and then get mad when our real lives get in the way of our "perfect scenarios". Then we beat ourselves up over the failure to execute these promises." I think I may make it my blog quote of the week! I have gotten much more realistic with my resolutions. I even "cheat" a little by "resoluting" to do things that are already in progress! lol

9:36 AM  
Blogger Ms.Honey said...

Nice post! Happy New Year! This year will be about putting up or shutting up....

12:09 PM  
Blogger Knockout Zed said...

Hello? HAPPY New Year, dammit!

KZ

12:13 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

baby steps!
I like that

1:55 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

This is a great post..I'm sitting here like Dayum 1969 is right! We put way too much pressure on ourselves to be perfect when in reality if we were perfect life would be soo boring..I'm with you Sista....I stopped drinking soda last year. Can't drink milk,and the little extra money mi get from mi part time job I put away for a stormy day...lol Like I said I'm with you....

2:58 PM  
Blogger Blah Blah Blah said...

I know I'm not perfect.
....but this year...I am going to take better care of my hair. I think my stuff is falling out fa sho. LOL

6:46 PM  
Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

great post. i am big on resolutions but i usually only make one a year, one that i know i can stick to, one that i know will change my life...other than that i just try to start each year with a clean slate.

hope that this year is totally awesome for you and yours!!

11:55 AM  
Blogger African girl, American world said...

Amen!!
Happy New Year.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Sangindiva said...

What a positive uplifting post!
ANNNNND I love the new layout!
Everybody is getting them- I think I need to step my game up!!

Happy New Year!

1:44 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Thanks for the New Years Love everyone! Right back at ya....MWAH

5:27 AM  
Blogger Erica Bunker said...

Hopefully, I can be a "better human" this year! Happy New Year!

7:42 AM  
Blogger P said...

This is such a refreshing post. Sure, I don't make resolutions, but for myself, I know that the new year signifies so many things, some of which are what you said: An opportunity to leave things (at least figuratively) behind, and a fresh clean slate.

The new year means a lot to me. . .Just like any other major holiday that we celebrate. .

And the baby steps. You are dead on with that. What I have been doing regarding my 401K is, increasing it in baby steps (i ONLY do it in one percent increments). I am trying to get it up to 19 percent - not quite there. . .but it's a goal, and because I didn't overwhelm myself with a lot of it all at once. . . and then, as you say, complain that "I can't save enough money"

Thank you for the inspirational post.

P

12:33 PM  
Blogger NegroPino™ said...

Happy New Year!!!!!

12:44 PM  
Blogger Miz JJ said...

Happy New Year!

Small, attainable goals are always better than huge, unrealistic goals.

11:42 AM  
Blogger A Girl Again said...

very nice and VERY smart!

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home