Friday, January 12, 2007

Living a Lifetime of Service

On Monday, we will all celebrate the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King. There is no need to detail the great accomplishments of Dr. King. I just hope that we use the day to actually celebrate his life and his legacy. My sons and I will be at MLK high school here in Philly for a service project. If you are in the area and looking to volunteer. Please come on out. The event will last all day.

On a more personal note, my beloved Sorority, Alpha Kappa Alpha will celebrate 99 years on January 15th as well. Ninety-Nine years of sisterhood and service. I am so proud to be a part of this organization founded by these dynamic women.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

With the new movie "Stomp. The. Yard" coming out, I just want to let you all know that being in a Step Show is not what any of the Divine Nine, Black Greek Organizations is about. These organizations were founded at a time when it was a privilege for black people to attend college.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Education was not taken lightly. The original founders created our sisterhood as a means to promote service to mankind while encouraging high scholastic and ethical standards among African American women and to forge lifetime friendships. To still be doing that 99 years later is a great feat. You don't have to agree with the ideals of sororities or fraternities to know that any Black organization that can stand the test of time and still make a difference almost a century later, should be applauded.

Most of the Organizations are on the verge of reaching the Century mark. Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority will celebrate our Centennial next year at Howard University in Washington DC. It will be our homecoming and I can't wait.

So to all the Greeks out there....stay active and continue to strive for your organization's ideals. Keep making a difference.

To my Sorors...I know people call us many names. They tend to generalize and sterotype us for the way we stride, our confidence, the AKAtude.

However, I see you building villages in Africa and not getting media attention, like Oprah.

I see you cleaning up those schools in your communities, reading and tutoring children, visiting incarcerated women and not even making the highlight film on CNN.

I see you donating clothing, money and toys for the battered women's shelters and not winning any Nobel Peace Prizes.

I see you choosing to support Black Dollar Days and African American business while not being heralded in the Wall Street Journal or even Black Enterprise.

I see you leading the way in the Arts like Sorors Maya Angelou and Ntozake Shange, in History like Sorors Rosa Parks and Coretta Scott King, in Science and Space like Soror Mae Jemison (first African American woman in space who carried an AKA flag along with her), in entertainment like Soror Phylicia Rashad, Soror Alicia Keys and Soror Gladys Knight and in the Government like Soror Jewell Jackson McCabe and Soror Constance Baker Motley.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Keep striving for the next 100 years ladies. Happy Founders Day. I will be proud in my pink and green when I see you next year under our Founders window at Rankin Chapel at HU!!!!!


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

13 Comments:

Blogger Organized Noise said...

Good post and Happy Birthday. I only hope that more people realize that people who are in fraternities and sororities do more than just step. (Hell, the AKA's paid my way through college)Each of the Devine Nine have a storied history and most were created to help African American college students at both historically black institutions and predominately white institutions. Even though in some cases, the social activities do overshadow everything else, the community service has continued, and that's what it is all about . . . at least in my opinion.

10:56 AM  
Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

happy birthday..

11:56 AM  
Blogger Shai said...

Happy Birthday.

I have to say I never wanted to be in a sorority. They seem more cliquish. And the hazing rituals are ridiculous. No offense but they just don't appeal to me. Maybe when they founded the groups things were better. Most folks I watched pledge frats and sororities went through unnecessary crap.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Virtuous said...

Happy Birthday My Greek Sister!
Our Founders Day is today! 94th Year for DST!

I loved your post b/c it highlighted how there are so many good things that are going on that are not highlighted in the media, but does not go unnoticed.

It is all LOVE!

Stacey
Delta Sigma Theta
Charlotte Alumane
Fall '99, 49 P.O.S.
Tenacious #36

6:59 PM  
Blogger 1969 said...

ON...Thanks babe. Not everything we are known for is positive but very few people know about all of the good these organizations do.

Humanity...thanks!

Shai..I hear you. It's not for everyone. I appreciate the Birthday love!

Virtuous...Happy Belated to the ladies of DST. I appreciate the Greek love.

2:16 PM  
Blogger BK said...

Happy Founders Day to you Ma.. Interesting enough.. while the movie Stomp The Yard highlighted stepping.. it was MUCH more than that!!!

Fabulous post... I guess I'll be seeing you in 2008 :) LOL..

4:28 AM  
Blogger Ming Houser, Realtor said...

Thanks SOROR for this wonderful post...THIS IS A SERIOUS MATTER!

Happy B-day to us!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You betta speak about it!!! Very Good Blog Soror!!! Happy Founder's Day!!! 99 Never looked SOOOOO PRETTY!!! Skee-Wee

10:00 AM  
Blogger Miz JJ said...

Informative post. I do not know a lot about sororities as my university did not have any. Sometimes, I wish I had gone to the school in the states so I could be apart of an organization like a sorority. I truly believe in helping your community and giving back.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love your blog, this is my first time visiting here! And I must say, I never thought much of the "Divine Nine" because I thought it to be much like it is portrayed in the media. But when my best friend joined AKA, I met some of the most amazing women in the world through her. And it proves that loyalty, sisterhood, and commitment is alive and well. You, Mia, and Nobelle are wonderful testaments to that. Hope you all enjoyed your day! :)

4:35 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Bklyn Diva...I will definitely see you next year!

Dynasty..exactly! Happy Birthday.

Mia...I hope you visit more often Soror.


Miz JJ...like I said to Shai, it's not for everybody but I will say that it has kept me involved in the community for the last 16 years. Almost every other weekend, I am involved in some type of community service.

MissPrice...come back and visit again. Thanks for the sweet post. I think all of the sororities enable you to meet very dynamic black women who are leaders in their fields. I have learned a lot from some of the ladies I have met too.

4:53 AM  
Blogger Little Brown Girl said...

How did I miss this? I am such a loser. Ok let me be the last to say that this was an absolutely beautiful post. In fact it inspired me...we have so much to be grateful for, so much history and honor in or organization and I am so proud to be a member...so proud to be your sister and the sister to thousands of other beautiful, strong, talented, intelligent, courageous, dedicated, concerned, honorable, and God-loving women who are members of the most historic organziation founded by black women in all the world.

I am so humbled by this post that I am commiting myself right now to become active again in this year. I will not let 100 years show up without being more involved, without rededicating myself to the ideals of such an important organization.

I love this post on so many levels...and I am grateful to you for writing it. Happy BELATED Founders my absolutely divine Soror!!! We'll be celebrating big time next January...we'll be right there together---I PROMISE!!!

6:23 PM  
Blogger CreoleInDC said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!

I love the fact that you had such a wonderful experience with your sorority! Having a sisterhood that you belong to must be a beautiful, wonderful thing.

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home