Monday, January 08, 2007

Simple Pleasures

I was in Brooklyn this past weekend. Went to see my best friend's new baby and to see my mom. While sitting with my friend that I have known for almost twenty years (my 20 yr high school reunion is in April), I had to reflect on the nature of things.

Growing up, you have these huge dreams about what you want to be. A doctor, a lawyer, an athlete...you know....different variations on being RICH and successful. The fancy car, the big house, lots of clothes....pure happiness right?

Well, as I sat holding my nephew, drinking a cup of tea and reflecting on life with the person that probably knows me better than anyone else...I was struck by how the simple things in life are truly the most precious.

Don't get me wrong, I still want to be rich, but there is something to be said for a quiet afternoon of just talking and laughing. Fixing lunch and having some tea.
Waiting for a baby to open it's eyes.

I always think of myself as Wonder Woman. Rushing around from point A to point B trying to get the job done. I wear a lot of hats. Executive, Mother, Sister, Daughter...sometimes I forget to stop and appreciate the small moments. Life's simple pleasures.

This year, I resolve to stop, breathe and appreciate.

10 Comments:

Blogger Erica Bunker said...

You are so right about that. Think about how many people with the big house and fancy cars long for the simplicities of life... something as simple as being a parent. That's why I appreciate what I have. Have a good one!

7:32 AM  
Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

it is indeed the simple things in life that make this life of ours one which is quality and worth living.

it is my belief that appreciating moments, these intangible qualities, friends and loved ones enriches our lives and as a whole makes us more wealthy!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Miz JJ said...

When I was 19 years-old I was in a relationship with an older man. We were living in a foreign country and he was working making a lot of money. I found the hours and the stress of his job ridiculous. I realized at a young age that a big house, fancy cars and being rich are very much overrated. The simple things like you described are so much better. I loved driving my BMW, but I think I will really love being married to someone I will actually see.

10:13 AM  
Blogger chele said...

I am so with you on this.

12:08 PM  
Blogger BZ said...

I'm so with you on this! One of the things that has aided in my appreciation of the little things, where I live, is living in VA. When I returned to Boston, and to this day, I take a deep breath in awe of the architecture and skyline that is Boston. Traveling up 93, or down Memorial Drive, or looking over at Cambridge from Storrow, I look, breathe, and say "damn, this is beautiful". Same thing with a green field in the middle of January. Or, hearing the seagulls outside my apartment. Or just spending time with good friends. I have it good.

12:19 PM  
Blogger onefromphilly said...

I'll take quality over quantity any day. All of the things that I cherish like, raising my kids, family holiday dinners, cookouts/bar-b-ques/picnics with friends, a rowdy game of pinochle/spades/whist. Money would mean nothing if I had to give up any of that to have it!

12:24 PM  
Blogger That Girl Tam said...

I'm such a goober...ok, that was a great post and all, but I really only came here to comment on your profile picture. I LOVE IT! HAHAA...

I have a feeling 2007 is gonna be great for all of us!!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Shai said...

Yes, simplicity is a beautiful thing. I have known that awhile now. Like this weekend, my only child was gone and I went to the movies by myself and had dinner. Then I came home to QUIET house, no phone ringing a million times for her. Just peace and quiet.

I feel ya.

5:03 PM  
Blogger BK said...

We all forget that.. I let superwoman die last year though.. I had too..

the simplest things in life are FREE and are effortless

7:32 PM  
Blogger Ming Houser, Realtor said...

From what my mother tells me, when I was a little girl I told her and anyone that would listen that I wanted to be a "Star"! LOL!

Sometimes it just hits you like that. You look around you and it seems like time stands still for a moment and all your senses awaken. At that moment you realize how truly happy you are! A moment of truth.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home