Monday, June 11, 2007

Guess Who's Coming To Brunch?

So as we start down the road to dating, things are heating up. 1969 is starting to like the future Mr. 1969 and vice versa....he invites me to spend Easter weekend at his house and to meet his mama and family.

So we get up there, things are going smoothly. Easter Sunday, the two of us head off to church. His mom had gone to sunrise service so she could stay home and cook. Of course, we both looked extra sharp when we left and we enjoyed a great service. (Two years later, we would be married in this same church).

So when we get back home, I can smell the Easter ham and all of the cousins are over.
I walk in and start chit chatting with the cousins. Just as they were getting up to leave....Mr. 1969's mom comes in the room. "Lawd....I don't know what to do? I wasn't really thinking and she has a gift for me...."

So Mr. 1969 asks his mom what's wrong...."While you were at church, Puerto Rico called." The whole room gets quiet.

"Puerto Rico......She's here? Why is she here?.....What did you tell her?"

"I didn't know what to say. She said she was in town for the Holiday to visit friends. She had a gift for me and wanted to stop by to drop it off. I knew 1969 was here but I couldn't say no, it would have been rude. I didn't know what to say?"

Mr. 1969 starts to look nervous. All of the cousins are quiet.

Now Puerto Rico was THE GIRLFRIEND. She dated Mr. 1969 for three years, all through college. Despite him cheating on her repeatedly, she stuck it out with him until she finally started cheating. Of course, he then dumped her and said she broke his heart. A totally dysfunctional relationship very typical of college.

So he looks at me and says..."What do you want me to do?"

So of course, the gracious lady that I am...I say that I have no problems with her coming over to say hello.

All of his cousins who were leaving start laughing and saying "We ain't going NOWHERE now!!!"

So about 30 minutes later, in walks a triumphant Miss Puerto Rico. She didn't really notice me when she first came in. She was all decked out in her Easter finest. I can see how she thought it would go down. The beautiful ex-girlfriend walks back into town, shows up unexpectedly and sweeps a lonely Mr. 1969 off his feet again.....SCREEEEEECH

He walks her over to me and introduces her to his "Girlfriend, 1969". I stared her right in the eye, extended my hand and said "So nice to meet you, you're the one from College right?" :)

Her whole face looked crestfallen but she was a trooper, she sucked it all in and was very sweet. Said hello and gave the mom the gift. Of course, the food is ready so the COUSINS invite her to stay and eat. Meanwhile they are in the kitchen asking me if I'm going to beat her down. LOL

So instead of this heffa saying "No, I'm not hungry" she stays to eat with us. Then to top it off, she asks Mr. 1969 if he wants to see pictures of her sisters baby. He says sure. In every picture...Why is she in a string bikini on the beach holding the baby????? LMAO

She had her game down pat. I know if I wasn't there, it might have been on like popcorn. Mr. 1969 is so nervous through all of this. He keeps coming over to me and asking me if everything is okay. I smile and say sweetly "Of course. Are YOU okay?"
He keeps saying "Why won't she leave?" The cousins are loving every minute of watching his azz sweat and his sisters are next to me snapping on her. I swear it was like an episode of Good Times.

Eventually, she realizes that it's time to go. He asks me if he can walk her to the car....I smile sweetly and say "Of course". He walks her outside and comes back in in five minutes.

As soon as he walks in, he collapses on the chair and all of us break out laughing.
Poor Mr. 1969, he was stressed out.

Then we all start cutting up...."Can you believe she stayed? What was up with the pictures? She knows she was trying to come back like BAM....she got her damn feelings hurt."

Later that night.....Mr. 1969 and I went for ice cream and we sat by the waterfront and talked. He told me he had only dated girls that liked drama. He wasn't used to anyone that exhibited the class I had shown that day. He thought I would snap out in his mom's house and he was just dreading the whole scenario. I smiled sweetly and told him that he didn't invite her, she probably left devastated and that I was the one staying, she eventually had to leave. We hugged and the relationship probably turned a corner after the Miss Puerto Rico incident.

He didn't know his future wife was always only one second away from knocking that BEYOTCH out.

29 Comments:

Blogger BK said...

ROTFLMAO... hahahaa see that's cause he don't understand.. you a LADY first.. but had she said something SIDEWAYS TO YOU.. You woulda excused yourself outside with her and cussed her skunt and tell her bout every piece of her rican arse!!! and took it to BK if she tried to get frisky!!! LOL

I swear reading this it was like deja vu!!! LOL

Now you see why you got di ring and she still a wait LOL

5:53 AM  
Blogger Shai said...

Great story. LOL. Acting with class. How Mr. 1969 handled his business is what counted too. SMH.

Did his mom like you at first? What was the gift?

6:37 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

BK...as long as he didn't know she was coming...I was fine. LOL

Shai..exactly. He handled it well too...his mom loved me from the door and vice versa. (May she rest in peace). I can't even remember what she brought over...I think it was a plant or something she found on the side of the road to give her an excuse for coming over. LOL

6:39 AM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

Now you and I both know. It was your west indian upbringing that kept you in Check. Your mother raised you to be lady and a lady never ever shows her ASS in public.

Now if that had been me back then in the same situation. The player in me would have doubled back and broke Puerto Rico OFF one last time. Ya know! Just to make sure I was making the right decision...lol

6:51 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Slishy....yuh think I wasn't timing how long he went to the car? LMAO!!!

7:01 AM  
Blogger proacTiff said...

I loved the way this ended. Your behavior sealed the deal with mister 1969. Men are NEVA fans of drama, they just deal with it passive-aggressively IMO. And why we women are so astute? I'm with you. "Trife Rican" picked up something and called to see if it was okay to come through. She knew it was Ressurection Sunday and thought she was going to ressurect some thangs round there. And you know "the girlfriend" always thinks they have cart blanche on "the ex boyfriend and his peeps." We ALL have been there.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't know how I would have handled that situaton. Haven't quite got my "ladyness" on lock yet. LOL

One day though.....

Keep It Comin'!!!!!!!!!

-SimplyB

7:13 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Pro...I will post the "sealed the deal story tomorrow" This was probably when he first got an iknling of the nice side of 1969....the other shoe fell not too long after :)

Fresh...trust me....had she got out of pocket one good time.....I woulda knocked her back in.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Erica Bunker said...

I loved how you handled this. I was in a similar situation with my husbands ex -- Kim. She always finds a reason to want to stop by the MIL's house on holidays and special occasions. It doesn't bother me one bit because you see it all over her that she realizes she made a mistake and let a good one get away... but too damn late now!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Little Brown Girl said...

I knew you'd handle it well...too much class for trash :-) I love the story though. The dumb shyt we go through for love to prevail. Mr. 1969 is a lucky man and it was confirmed for him that night I am sure. Many women would have been *neck snapping* after that but not my Big Sis...emotions in check, keeping game face TIGHT! I love it!! I wanna be like you when I grow up LOL!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Miz JJ said...

What is there to fight over? He is your man. She showed her ass by staying for dinner. Still laughing at all of her bikini shots.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Amadeo said...

Bikinis and babies? That's not McDonalds. I wonder if it represents a character flaw or a blessing that I have no ex-girlfriend who ever got to know my family enough to "pop in" for any reason.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Shai said...

I find it funny how when you keep to yourself and let others act a fool, they think something is wrong with you. LOL. Don't underestimate the laid backness. I remember when I was younger how dif women tried to hit on my mate at the time and they felt like two inches high when he showed who he is with. Plus I am a woman and may not do all those tricks but I do know them. LOL.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Still Patrice said...

lmao @ her crestfallen face! Too funny, b/c you know she just KNEW she was leaving with him!

9:04 AM  
Blogger Ms. Lee said...

She really did play herself by staying. Was she trying to wait you out?! Or save face? WTH?!

The bikini shots were hilarious! She really was coming with what she thought was her A game, huh?!

Love how you handled it. Killed that chick with class!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Dondasaurus Rex said...

damn she was trying extra hard, bring bikini pics?! I'm glad mr. 1969 had the good sense to wife you up, because its clear he was dealing with some skanks before you!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Jameil said...

omg but the end was the best part! so wack. one thing to walk in fly, but walk out with some dignity please!! i mean really, staying? get. out. so lame.

1:42 PM  
Blogger BZ said...

We really are SO much alike, it's not even funny. I love how you handled the situation. You really did come out the womb grown, huh? LOL

2:30 PM  
Blogger Sister Toldja said...

The cousins really had me dying here! I could just see the looks on they faces, just praying for some drama! Class over trash any day! I know she was too salty. If this was going down the in the Chi, I'd have to hit her with the "Aw, boo, you embuurrrased!" when she walked out the door.

LMAO@ at "a plant or something she found on the side of the road"!!!!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Organized Noise said...

That is the exact reason I can't keep in touch with ex's. Don't need them popping up trying to mess up a good thing.

6:06 PM  
Blogger M.Dot. said...

Can I be like you when I grow up?<<<**Needs to learn how to take high road.

8:51 PM  
Blogger So...Wise...Sista said...

Big up all Caribbean massive! Such a lady.

What is particularly fantastic about this series is that we know the end result, and it puts into perspective the dumb shit that happens in our relationships (read any blogger on here) that make or break the bond. I probably would have dismissed The Mr. after finding out his player past. But despite the drama y'all made it to the alter. Awwwww. Yeah for hope! :)

9:39 PM  
Blogger Gemini Girl aka GG said...

gurlllllllll keep it coming..I'm loving this courtship..soooooo sweet...I know his armpits were soaked!! lol...

7:08 AM  
Blogger onefromphilly said...

That's right MRS. 1969!
Now that's how grown folk handle their business!

7:47 AM  
Blogger Nikita T. Mitchell said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Nikita T. Mitchell said...

LMAO. LOVE IT! Just one question... Does Mr. 1969 read these posts? He must be a very entertained (and slightly embaressed) man when reading posts about himself!

that deleted one was me btw...

6:45 PM  
Blogger Virtuous said...

LOL @ Ending - I was saying the whole time y'all know 69 ain't that damn sweet! HAHA!!

8:17 AM  
Blogger *Tanyetta* said...

perfect! and i know good and well you were NOT going to knock her out at all. you are too classy for that. (spoken like a true newbie to your blog huh?) LOL

i looooooooooved this post.

you inspire me to act a lady at all times. :)

8:41 AM  
Blogger Lola Gets said...

I have never been threatened by any of my pervious mens exes - and Ive never given any of my exes wives any reason to feel threatened by me! Everyone has dated before they settled down, so everyone has a past - deal with it properly and thats where it stays.
L

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home