Wednesday, June 13, 2007

We Don't Need No Education!

The Philadelphia School system is horrible. I have two young black men that I am trying to raise to take over the world and I live in a city with a substandard school system.

We moved here and I didn't really think about the school system. We moved because we both had career opportunities. When we had our first son, I went into panic mode.
In Brooklyn, my family stressed education above anything else. I went to great schools (shouts out to BTHS and NYU) and worked hard. That was my ticket out of struggling. To be faced with bad educational options with a baby.....was not a good thing.

I started researching schools from the minute he could walk. This is the land of private school....Friend.s S.elect, Ha.verford Boys, Wal.dron Mercy.....there are phenomal private schools in this city....I just REFUSE to pay $18,000 for Kindergarten when I also have another child in daycare.

I started to investigate the Public School system. There had to be one school that I could find for my son. After pouring through the State Test Scores, I kept noticing one school repeatedly came in first. This school was number one in math and reading for the last three years. It's the only Blue Ribbon Public School in Philadelphia.

I started hunting.....why is this school in my neighborhood? How come I've never heard of it? Turns out, it is a small, very select Charter School. While many Charters have teachers that aren't accredited or the schools lose funding.....this school is expanding, is receiving lots of grant money and the teachers are top notch educators. And....The school is run by a SISTER.....

So last night was Tali 1's interview. I was so proud of him. I gave him the "act right or die" speech all morning so he was on his best behavior. He really is the smartest kid alive. I was so proud of him. Not just for answering all of their questions, but for BEHAVING like he had some home training :)

Now we just have to wait to hear if he made it.

13 Comments:

Blogger BK said...

HAHAHAA!! YEAH TALI #1

Girl I feel you.. I did the same thing when I moved here with my kids.. 6 and 2 at the time.. I left NY cause I couldn't afford Private School no mo.. LOL but I did the research just like you and both of my kids attended the Blue Ribbon Elementary School and participated in a full time TAG program.. so you doin RIGHT.. I made sure I lived in the "right" district too LOL cause that can be the deal breaker right there

I know he got in.. Just let me know when the celebratory BBQ is.. we can make some roti & doubles with some pepper sauce!!! :)


*damn I just got hungry thinking bout that shyt*

5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

School is no joke in any urban area. Hell in any area you have to do your research. We fought the same battle last year and found a blue ribbon school. Even though it wasn't our "zoned" school, we wrote a letter and even had the learning center director write a letter of recommendation.

Good luck to Tali. I'm sure he'll get in. His mom is a nerd. :)

7:01 AM  
Blogger Jazzy said...

lmao@BK getting hungry thinking about a bbq early o'clock in the morning!

"act right or die" speech Whew...that brings back memories of the threats received from my mother. I think she only gave us the speech just one time in our lives...after that it was the "act right or die LOOK". When she gave you that look you just knew what she meant!

Good luck to Mr. Tali 1!!

7:04 AM  
Blogger lyre said...

Kudos to you for taking a proactive step in the right direction in your children's education. I worked Charter in Florida 5 years. It is a great concept!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Little Brown Girl said...

I'm with Bklyn...when we gone throw some veggies (LOL cause I dont do meat) on the grill man!!! Cause this ones in the bag. Awwwwwwwww Tali #1 I am so excited...starting Kindergarden at a top knotch school. That's my nephew LMAO!!!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Virtuous said...

LOL @ act right or die speech

I put a quick pray out there for y'all!

Can't wait to hear the good news! ;o)

8:22 AM  
Blogger Erica Bunker said...

I'm sure he did wonderfully! I can relate to the bad schools. The Birmingham City Schools are terrible! I wouldn't send my dog there. This is what sent us out to the suburbs and I couldn't be more happy with the Hoover City Schools (Go Bucs!) system.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Jameil said...

gooooooooooo tali!!!!

11:21 AM  
Blogger Still Patrice said...

Sending prayers up for Tali 1!

Did I ever mention that I find it extremely cute that you call them Tali 1&2?? Well I do!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Miz JJ said...

I hope he gets in.

After reading Zeddie's blog and now this? I am just shaking my head about the US. 18k for kindergarden. Damn.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Ms. Lee said...

When it finally happens for me (God, pay attention), that's one of the things I will factor in when I'm deciding where to raise my family.

I've just recently learned that that's what drives property value and the neighborhood - how good the school district is!

But anyway, T1's a shoe in! I'll drive 2 hrs for the BBQ, too! LOL

1:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was such an angel I never got the act right or die speech. Now my brother......

I just said a prayer for the family especially Tali1, you did ur part so all you gotta do is relax and leave it to a higher power.

-SimplyB

8:27 AM  
Blogger *Tanyetta* said...

LOL at-----"act right or die" speech

my son is 2 and i feel like i am giving him that on the regular.

:)

keep us posted. i'm sure your son will get in :)

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home